BubbaServer (b1) lenny image

Announcements from Excito
carl
Posts: 474
Joined: 07 May 2008, 04:41

BubbaServer (b1) lenny image

Post by carl » 15 May 2009, 08:33

An new image for BubbaServer (B1) is now available at http://update.excito.net/install/bubba- ... nny/image/
As full testing hasn't been possible, please regard this as an pre-release, and further upgrades, if necessary, will be relayed via the upgrade manager.

To install, place the image on an USB stick (the image is 180MB large); Insert the stick into the bubba, and while press the power button, insert the power cord.

/Carl Fürstenberg - excito dev
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com

daeelz
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Oct 2008, 11:02

Bubba|TWO Lenny

Post by daeelz » 15 May 2009, 08:42

Hej, thank you for an excellent product. Do you have any idea when Lenny will be released for Bubba|TWO?

/Mattias

Binkem
Posts: 388
Joined: 10 Jul 2008, 02:26

Post by Binkem » 15 May 2009, 10:19

Give them a break ;)

FoH
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 May 2009, 10:22

Post by FoH » 15 May 2009, 10:32

I just tried it and found the following problem:
* Time and date is set to 1970 and can not be updated from web interface (Error message is "Unable to update time and date. Please check syntax of entered data." but I doubt that my data is wrong, because I can't even change the current time with a minute)
* Due to the faulty date (I'm assuming) it's not possible to log in to the server via SSH, since the password has "expired" and thus it's not possible changing this manually. I tried setting my computers system time to January 1 1970 but still got the same problem...

What can I do to fix this? :) I'm happy to do some debugging, should it be necessary.

carl
Posts: 474
Joined: 07 May 2008, 04:41

Post by carl » 15 May 2009, 10:58

FoH wrote:I just tried it and found the following problem:
* Time and date is set to 1970 and can not be updated from web interface (Error message is "Unable to update time and date. Please check syntax of entered data." but I doubt that my data is wrong, because I can't even change the current time with a minute)
* Due to the faulty date (I'm assuming) it's not possible to log in to the server via SSH, since the password has "expired" and thus it's not possible changing this manually. I tried setting my computers system time to January 1 1970 but still got the same problem...

What can I do to fix this? :) I'm happy to do some debugging, should it be necessary.
Oh, that wasn't good, gonna look into it asap (was going to install ntp, but hesitated)

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com

carl
Posts: 474
Joined: 07 May 2008, 04:41

Post by carl » 15 May 2009, 11:19

carl wrote:
FoH wrote:I just tried it and found the following problem:
* Time and date is set to 1970 and can not be updated from web interface (Error message is "Unable to update time and date. Please check syntax of entered data." but I doubt that my data is wrong, because I can't even change the current time with a minute)
* Due to the faulty date (I'm assuming) it's not possible to log in to the server via SSH, since the password has "expired" and thus it's not possible changing this manually. I tried setting my computers system time to January 1 1970 but still got the same problem...

What can I do to fix this? :) I'm happy to do some debugging, should it be necessary.
Oh, that wasn't good, gonna look into it asap (was going to install ntp, but hesitated)

/Carl
Ok, have fixed the problem (was wrong parameter count in backend.pl for set_time), you should be able to use the web upgrade to upgrade the bubba package, and after that it is possible to change the time.

/Carl Fürstenberg
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com

FoH
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 May 2009, 10:22

Post by FoH » 15 May 2009, 12:34

That was quick! :D I confirm that the problem is fixed, date and time was successfully updated and ssh login working again (after anther password change due to "expired" password, since last login was 1970). Great work!

mabl
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 11:38

Post by mabl » 15 May 2009, 16:08

Great! I've been waiting for this. But I think I ran in a bug with samba. It is a freshly set up bubba1 with this lenny pre-release.

It is updated to the most recent versions (it needed a "dpkg --configure -a" ), no lenny archives activated. One user has been added to be able to log into bubba with ssh.

Code: Select all

bubba:/home/mabl# cat /var/log/samba/log.smbd 
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] smbd/server.c:main(1213)
  smbd version 3.2.5 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2008
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  1] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(6110)
  Unknown parameter encountered: "invalid user"
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(7196)
  Ignoring unknown parameter "invalid user"
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  1] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(6110)
  Unknown parameter encountered: "invalid user"
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(7196)
  Ignoring unknown parameter "invalid user"
[1970/01/01 00:27:14,  0] lib/interface.c:load_interfaces(543)
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
[1970/01/01 00:27:15,  0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(548)
  open_sockets_smbd: No sockets available to bind to.

Code: Select all

bubba:/home/mabl# cat /var/log/samba/log.nmbd 
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(849)
  nmbd version 3.2.5 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2008
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  1] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(6110)
  Unknown parameter encountered: "invalid user"
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(7196)
  Ignoring unknown parameter "invalid user"
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  1] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(6110)
  Unknown parameter encountered: "invalid user"
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(7196)
  Ignoring unknown parameter "invalid user"
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] lib/interface.c:load_interfaces(543)
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:create_subnets(206)
  create_subnets: No local IPv4 non-loopback interfaces !
[1970/01/01 00:27:13,  0] nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:create_subnets(207)
  create_subnets: Waiting for an interface to appear ...
[1970/01/01 00:27:18,  0] lib/interface.c:load_interfaces(543)
  WARNING: no network interfaces found

[and so on]

[2009/05/15 22:03:54,  0] lib/interface.c:load_interfaces(543)
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
[2009/05/15 22:03:59,  0] lib/interface.c:load_interfaces(543)
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
A port scan to the bubba says

Code: Select all

nmap -PE -PA21,23,80,3389 -A -v -T4 192.168.2.46

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-05-15 22:04 CEST
Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 22:04
Scanning 192.168.2.46 [1 port]
Completed ARP Ping Scan at 22:04, 0.02s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 22:04
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 22:04, 0.00s elapsed
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 22:04
Scanning noname (192.168.2.46) [1000 ports]
Discovered open port 80/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Discovered open port 21/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Discovered open port 25/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Discovered open port 443/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Discovered open port 3689/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Discovered open port 143/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Discovered open port 993/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Discovered open port 10000/tcp on 192.168.2.46
Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 22:05, 0.19s elapsed (1000 total ports)
Initiating Service scan at 22:05
Scanning 9 services on noname (192.168.2.46)
Completed Service scan at 22:06, 116.11s elapsed (9 services on 1 host)
Initiating OS detection (try #1) against noname (192.168.2.46)
SCRIPT ENGINE: Initiating script scanning.
SCRIPT ENGINE: '/usr/share/nmap/scripts/dns-test-open-recursion.nse' threw a run time error and could not be loaded.
SCRIPT ENGINE: '/usr/share/nmap/scripts/skype_v2-version.nse' threw a run time error and could not be loaded.
SCRIPT ENGINE: error while initializing script rules:
/usr/share/nmap/scripts/script.db:20: rpcinfo.nse is not a file!
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'Entry'
	/usr/share/nmap/scripts/script.db:20: in main chunk
	[C]: ?
	[C]: ?

SCRIPT ENGINE: Aborting script scan.
Host noname (192.168.2.46) appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on noname (192.168.2.46):
Not shown: 991 closed ports
PORT      STATE SERVICE    VERSION
21/tcp    open  ftp        ProFTPD 1.3.1
22/tcp    open  ssh         (protocol 2.0)
25/tcp    open  smtp       Postfix smtpd
80/tcp    open  http       Apache httpd 2.2.9 ((Debian) PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny3 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8g)
143/tcp   open  imap       Dovecot imapd
443/tcp   open  ssl/http   Apache httpd 2.2.9 ((Debian) PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny3 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8g)
993/tcp   open  imaps?
3689/tcp  open  http       mt-daapd httpd svn-1696
10000/tcp open  tcpwrapped
1 service unrecognized despite returning data. If you know the service/version, please submit the following fingerprint at http://www.insecure.org/cgi-bin/servicefp-submit.cgi :
SF-Port22-TCP:V=4.76%I=7%D=5/15%Time=4A0DCAF2%P=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu%r
SF:(NULL,20,"SSH-2\.0-OpenSSH_5\.1p1\x20Debian-5\r\n");
MAC Address: 00:03:1C:FF:XX:XX (Svenska Hardvarufabriken AB)
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 2.6.X
OS details: Linux 2.6.9 - 2.6.26
Uptime guess: 0.007 days (since Fri May 15 21:56:19 2009)
Network Distance: 1 hop
TCP Sequence Prediction: Difficulty=203 (Good luck!)
IP ID Sequence Generation: All zeros
Service Info: Host:  bubba.localdomain; OS: Unix

Read data files from: /usr/share/nmap
OS and Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at http://nmap.org/submit/ .
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 118.26 seconds
           Raw packets sent: 1020 (45.640KB) | Rcvd: 1016 (41.388KB)
So as you can see, samba fails to run. Would be great if there are any suggestions. I already tried enableing the lenny packages and defaulting to the lenny samba.conf. But no luck.

mabl
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 11:38

Post by mabl » 17 May 2009, 04:24

Seems there was interfaces = eth1 in samba.conf. Changed it to eth0 and now it works 8)

It also is impossible to set the network setting on the webinterface.

EDIT:

Mediatomb fails with

Code: Select all

2009-05-17 10:53:27    INFO: Loading configuration from: /etc/mediatomb/config.xml
2009-05-17 10:53:27   ERROR: Error parsing config file: /etc/mediatomb/config.xml line 22:
mismatched tag
I haven't changed anything in it's config file and also don't see anything malformed.

EDIT2:
It also appears as the mt-daap deamon only advertises itself during startup via Bonjour/avahi. I can still connect to the share with rhythembox when I enter the IP of the server. But it is only automatically dicovered when i force the service to restart.

Code: Select all

2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Firefly Version svn-1696: Starting with debuglevel 2
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Error loading plugin /usr/lib/mt-daapd/plugins/ssc-script.so: plugin declined to load
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Plugin loaded: ssc-ffmpeg/svn-1696
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Plugin loaded: daap/svn-1696
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Plugin loaded: rsp/svn-1696
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Starting rendezvous daemon
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Client running
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Starting signal handler
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Initializing database
2009-05-17 11:47:06 (40cbe9b0): Starting web server from /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
2009-05-17 11:47:06 (40cbe9b0): Registering rendezvous names
2009-05-17 11:47:06 (40cbe9b0): Serving 219 songs.  Startup complete in 2 seconds
2009-05-17 11:47:06 (40cbe9b0): Rescanning database
2009-05-17 11:47:20 (414e84e0): Unknown meta code: daap.daap.songgenre
2009-05-17 11:47:27 (40cbe9b0): Starting playlist scan
2009-05-17 11:47:29 (40cbe9b0): Updating playlists

carl
Posts: 474
Joined: 07 May 2008, 04:41

Post by carl » 17 May 2009, 09:49

mabl wrote:Seems there was interfaces = eth1 in samba.conf. Changed it to eth0 and now it works 8)

It also is impossible to set the network setting on the webinterface.

EDIT:

Mediatomb fails with

Code: Select all

2009-05-17 10:53:27    INFO: Loading configuration from: /etc/mediatomb/config.xml
2009-05-17 10:53:27   ERROR: Error parsing config file: /etc/mediatomb/config.xml line 22:
mismatched tag
I haven't changed anything in it's config file and also don't see anything malformed.

EDIT2:
It also appears as the mt-daap deamon only advertises itself during startup via Bonjour/avahi. I can still connect to the share with rhythembox when I enter the IP of the server. But it is only automatically dicovered when i force the service to restart.

Code: Select all

2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Firefly Version svn-1696: Starting with debuglevel 2
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Error loading plugin /usr/lib/mt-daapd/plugins/ssc-script.so: plugin declined to load
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Plugin loaded: ssc-ffmpeg/svn-1696
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Plugin loaded: daap/svn-1696
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Plugin loaded: rsp/svn-1696
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Starting rendezvous daemon
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Client running
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Starting signal handler
2009-05-17 11:47:05 (40cbe9b0): Initializing database
2009-05-17 11:47:06 (40cbe9b0): Starting web server from /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
2009-05-17 11:47:06 (40cbe9b0): Registering rendezvous names
2009-05-17 11:47:06 (40cbe9b0): Serving 219 songs.  Startup complete in 2 seconds
2009-05-17 11:47:06 (40cbe9b0): Rescanning database
2009-05-17 11:47:20 (414e84e0): Unknown meta code: daap.daap.songgenre
2009-05-17 11:47:27 (40cbe9b0): Starting playlist scan
2009-05-17 11:47:29 (40cbe9b0): Updating playlists
Thanks for the headsup, I will try to resolve the issues as they arrive in the bug queue. As you might notice, I never tested samba, mediatomb etc... only to the point they executed without direct errors, and as it takes around eight - ten hours to compile the affected packages (per each), It was difficult to set aside time for it.
If the only problem with samba is the eth1 vs. eth0 (most packages are based on the BubbaTwo equivalent as there has been soo many changes since sarge), I will build an new one asap.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com

mabl
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 11:38

Post by mabl » 17 May 2009, 10:05

carl wrote: Thanks for the headsup, I will try to resolve the issues as they arrive in the bug queue. As you might notice, I never tested samba, mediatomb etc... only to the point they executed without direct errors, and as it takes around eight - ten hours to compile the affected packages (per each), It was difficult to set aside time for it.
That's ok for me, samba feels a lot faster now, and firefly finally supports playlists. That's great!
carl wrote: If the only problem with samba is the eth1 vs. eth0 (most packages are based on the BubbaTwo equivalent as there has been soo many changes since sarge), I will build an new one asap.
I also had to change "read only" to "no" for the homes share since without it no user could write to his own home directory, but don't know what the expected default behavior is here.

But bubba already does most of the things I want it to do. Oh and the kernel does not support ipv6, such a shame... Would be great to have an official new kernel release somewhen :)

carl
Posts: 474
Joined: 07 May 2008, 04:41

Post by carl » 17 May 2009, 10:43

mabl wrote: But bubba already does most of the things I want it to do. Oh and the kernel does not support ipv6, such a shame... Would be great to have an official new kernel release somewhen :)
A new kernel is possible, but it is difficult and dangerous, with one wrong step, and the bubba is bricked :(

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com

vecka53
Posts: 17
Joined: 05 Dec 2007, 05:53

Post by vecka53 » 19 May 2009, 02:00

I have also tried the new Lenny image:

I didn't have a DHCP-server on my network and that made my Bubba unreachable. It didn't get a static IP of 192.168.0.242 so I tried different IP:s but I couldn't find the right one. So i activated my DHCP-server in my router and there it was... my Bubba! I can confirm that you can't use the web-gui to change Bubba to use a static IP.

Regarding mt-daap (firefly) stop advertise itself:

I used to run the "raw" images (both etch and lenny) and I installed the firefly-package. Firefly would show up in iTunes on my Mac right after a Bubba reboot, but suddenly disappear from iTunes. The only way to get i t back was to restart avahi, mDNS and mt-daapd but then you could only stream music for a little while and suddenly it stopped and firefly had disappeared again from iTunes. To solve this I edited /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf; uncomment the line host-name=foo and changed it to host-name=bubba and rebooted the Bubba (I don't know why I had to make this change in the conf-file, but without it I couldn't get it to work). Then I issued the command ifconfig eth0 promisc and that did the trick! Now it works like a charm, but the only thing is that you need to run the above command everytime you have rebooted your Bubba.

/Markus

tor
Posts: 703
Joined: 06 Dec 2006, 12:24
Contact:

Post by tor » 19 May 2009, 02:28

Hi vecka53,

It should be enough by setting the eth0 device in an allmulti mode, not promisc, and it should work. Further more this sounds like a bug since this should have be done during boot (As it is done in the sarge version).

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer

mabl
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 11:38

Post by mabl » 19 May 2009, 10:12

tor wrote: It should be enough by setting the eth0 device in an allmulti mode, not promisc, and it should work.
For me it only works in promisc mode. I added "up ifconfig eth0 promisc" to /etc/network/interfaces and now it works. Doesn't work with allmulti.

I have not edited the hostname settings as vecka53 did.

Post Reply