Beta release of Etch install images

Announcements from Excito
tor
Posts: 703
Joined: 06 Dec 2006, 12:24
Contact:

Post by tor » 31 Mar 2008, 14:42

Hi Tompa and others,

The current installer will reformat everything so dont run it twice if you have valuable data on the user partition.

A short update could perhaps be in order. The official release have been somewhat delayed as you might have noticed. This is due to two things.

The first thing is that we spent a lot of time trying to get an upgrade from the old bubba firmware.

The other thing is unfortunately that we have been choked by verification work on the new hardware. We needed to make as sure as possible that it worked as expected before shipping it to initial test production. This is however soon done. And then we will return to the Etch beta and a new firmware update.

We can only apologize for the delay.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer

Boy
Posts: 34
Joined: 04 Jan 2008, 10:43

Post by Boy » 26 May 2008, 03:50

Hi all at the excito team,

are there any news or dates for the official etch release ?

I hope all the additonal features for the "super bubba" will also work for the old bubba, if not restricted by non existend hardware.

Cheers
Boy

nb000
Posts: 20
Joined: 29 May 2008, 14:40

partitioning

Post by nb000 » 09 Jun 2008, 10:54

Hi,

You cound give some info on formatting the empty partition.
I would do the following things:

Code: Select all

sudo parted /dev/hda mkfs 2 ext3
check if everything is ok:
sudo parted /dev/hda print
uncomment the line in /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda2   /home   ext3   noatime,defaults   0   2
sudo mount -a
check again:
df -h
And here is a little help, for getting started with a freshly installed etch:

1. set you IP to be in the range of 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254, if not there yet
2. ssh into bubba (root/excito)
3. nano /etc/network/interfaces
change 'iface eth0 inet static'
to 'iface eth0 inet dhcp'
4. optionally change hostname (in /etc/hostname)
5. reboot bubba
6. restore your original IP

run: apt-get update

Adding a non-root user:
-useradd jsmith
-passwd jsmith
-mkdir /home/jsmith
-chown jsmith:users /home/jsmith
*optional: add to /etc/sudoers

Optional packages for everyday use
apt-get install ...
less sudo
apache2
php5
mysql
proftpd

estorino
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Aug 2007, 06:44
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Post by estorino » 23 Jul 2008, 11:08

Will there be an official update to etch for original bubba owners? I know you guys are probably busy with the new bubba|two and all, but it would be nice if we could upgrade any time soon with all the features of the sarge release. What can you tell us? The excito.com site says 'Etch planned, now Sarge' in its comparison between the original bubba and bubba|two.

I'm currently running "the pure etch install image", but I do miss the ease and functionality of the complete package and I'm considering installing the "bubba-etch image" but it would be nice if it weren't a beta anymore and I would'nt have to worry about stuff not working...

estorino
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Aug 2007, 06:44
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Beta release of Etch install images

Post by estorino » 26 Jul 2008, 01:48

tor wrote: Known issues at this point.

Disk size and usage is reported wrong in the web-ui.
This seems to have been fixed, right? I've seen figures in the webinterface that seem to be almost correct:

webinterface:
Total disk size 290 067 MB
Free disk space 258 334 MB

command line

Code: Select all

estor@bubba:~$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1             9.2G  513M  8.3G   6% /
tmpfs                  62M     0   62M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M   32K   10M   1% /dev
tmpfs                  62M  4.0K   62M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/hda2             284G   17G  253G   7% /home

carl
Posts: 474
Joined: 07 May 2008, 04:41

Post by carl » 26 Jul 2008, 08:55

estorino wrote:Will there be an official update to etch for original bubba owners? I know you guys are probably busy with the new bubba|two and all, but it would be nice if we could upgrade any time soon with all the features of the sarge release. What can you tell us? The excito.com site says 'Etch planned, now Sarge' in its comparison between the original bubba and bubba|two.

I'm currently running "the pure etch install image", but I do miss the ease and functionality of the complete package and I'm considering installing the "bubba-etch image" but it would be nice if it weren't a beta anymore and I would'nt have to worry about stuff not working...
Perhaps I should say a word here as well.

We are sorry that we never released an stable etch image to the Bubba before.
I'm in the process to assembling the etch image to bubba(one) at the moment, and hopefully we can release it next week.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com

TN
Posts: 8
Joined: 14 Apr 2008, 09:16

Post by TN » 12 Aug 2008, 03:35

Any news on the upgrade? To my knowledge there will be no more security support of oldstable aka sarge:

http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/

estorino
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Aug 2007, 06:44
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Post by estorino » 21 Aug 2008, 09:25

carl wrote: I'm in the process to assembling the etch image to bubba(one) at the moment, and hopefully we can release it next week.
What's the word out on the streets? Will it be arriving any time soon?

carl
Posts: 474
Joined: 07 May 2008, 04:41

Post by carl » 21 Aug 2008, 10:21

estorino wrote:
carl wrote: I'm in the process to assembling the etch image to bubba(one) at the moment, and hopefully we can release it next week.
What's the word out on the streets? Will it be arriving any time soon?
We had a rather large bug in ftd, that wasn't solved until for a week ago, and as we are in the process of releaseihng BubbaTwo, we havn't had time to generate an inage for bubba(1). Though i believe we can make one soon after we started shipping B2.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com

Post Reply