New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

USB display

Good ideas? Share with us!
MagnusJonsson

USB display

Post by MagnusJonsson »

I think it would be cool if Excito would produce a USB capable display that one could connect to Bubba|Two.
The idea then would be remotely to show messages on the display for the rest of the family.

"Don't forget to make me dinner when I get home from work ! :-)"

It would also be great if the display could show stats like new mails, completed torrents etc.

Maybe the display could have two or three buttons that would alternate the messages on the display.
janeks

Post by janeks »

Somewhere I saw digital photo frame with wireless network capability. Features was limited, but idea similar.

I don't think that these features would be good for a (usb) display, but I think that that is just question of time for some kind of network players, network photo frames, that could use similar services, like bubba provides. F.ex. photo frame, that could use family's central calendar (f.ex. in Bubba) and displays a message when somebody arrives.
lkbrow1

Re: USB display

Post by lkbrow1 »

I bought a 4 line display from CrystalFontz part#634 and wrote a deamon that display the current time on line 1, the current date on line 2, and the current outside temperature on line 3. The temperature is retreaved via ftp call to the local weather metar site via the curl library. This display is blue and back lit. It is powered by the USB connector. It makes a great indicator that your Bubba is up and running.
asparak

Post by asparak »

In the UK, you could get one of these:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... ?NOV-MIMO1
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

asparak, that's a great idea !
One day I'll get one of those and learn how to write a deamon.... :)