New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

What will WLAN add-on look like?

Good ideas? Share with us!
andersos

Post by andersos »

Yes please! Some info would be nice, however small it be :)
andersos

Post by andersos »

And after one more month, no more info?? :)
Caper

Post by Caper »

Bought a Bubba|Two a couple of weeks ago, and when speaking to excito over phone they had a ETA in june-july.
Hoping that´s correct so I can dump my wireless router and use the Bubba for that also.
andersos

Post by andersos »

Oh :lol:
So we have some info. I'm in no hurry, but hoping for june - july now then.
mike_nl

Re: What will WLAN add-on look like?

Post by mike_nl »

Hello,

i have now my own bubba2. A second hand one, so i have nor
guarantee more, but 100% ok. I have/will made some more
tests with WLAN. My hardware for the test is:

There are more images from the bubba two. But i think
excito will not that i pubish all my high res. picture from bubba.

Everyone can see it is an Intel miniPCI card. This card is well
working in a router with the OS from http://www.fli4l.de. So that is my
test system.
melzus

Post by melzus »

Hi all,

@excito-team: do you have a release-date for the wlan-addon to the b2? What will it cost? I'm still eager to send my wlan-box on retirement. :)

@mike_nl:
Cool thing. :) Did you manage to get your b2 running as wlan access point?

melzus
tor

Post by tor »

Hi all,

Sorry for being quiet about this for so long. We are very sorry for both that and that we are so delayed with the add-on.

I will try to give a short update and info on how this progresses.

The main reason for the long delay in the wlan add-on is that the drivers for the N-capable wlan cards that we want to use has been to unstable for any good use. Things are however starting to shape up in this area. With our latest 2.6.30 testing kernel we have got good initial results in our testing and are currently continuing with broader tests. If everything turns out well we should be able hopefully complete the add-on in a not to distant future.

If you have any specific questions regarding this i will try to answer them in this thread.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
asparak

Post by asparak »

If you need beta testers ........ :)
ubbe

Post by ubbe »

Is that card backwards compatible to a, b and g wireless mode?
brgds ubbe
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Ubbe,

Our ambition is to allow for configuration in both "pure" N and combined BGN mode.

/Tor
keke79

Post by keke79 »

tor wrote:Hi Ubbe,

Our ambition is to allow for configuration in both "pure" N and combined BGN mode.

/Tor
Hi all

Does that mean that it only will be able to run the 2.4 GHZ band or will it be capable of the 5GHZ band as well?

And if so, will it be able to use both bands at once or must you specify wich frequency band you want to be using?

And one third question, how will the add-on afftect the overall power consumption?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi keke79 and others,

In pure N-mode it of course will use both 2.4 and 5GHz if the wlan-card supports this. In BGN-mode i cant give you a definite answer without doing any research myself. B and G mode will of course only be able to use 2.4 but im not sure if one could run anything in parallell on the 5GHz band.

The same goes for configuration of the two bands. We have not yet finalized those parts yet.

Regarding power consumption, it will of course be affected. I have no exact figures here but it should be in the neighborhood of 2 watt extra during load. And this should be perfectly ok with the design we have today.

/Tor
Caper

Post by Caper »

ETA??
jws

Post by jws »

Maybe this is already an obsolete question, but if I buy one of those WLAN stick things, could I use a Netbook with WLAN connection just like it were connected to the wired LAN?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi all,

Since we kicked out the 1.2.1 bugfix upgrade we now focus primarily on the upcomming 1.3 release that is scheduled with the main feature of WLAN. Im unable to give a firm releasedate for this now. But it will take at least 3-4 weeks from now.

@jws, i'm not sure that i understand your question. The wlan-feature will primarily act as an access point in router mode and thus you will be able to access Bubba, your lan and the rest of the internet in the same way as you would with any other router/AP.

/Tor