New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Static LAN addresses

Good ideas? Share with us!

Is this a good idea?

Poll ended at 10 Apr 2009, 19:27

Yes, I concur
22%
No, I hate it
No votes
It is already in there.
56%
I could not care less
22%

Total votes: 9

MagnusJonsson

Static LAN addresses

Post by MagnusJonsson »

I think that it would be nice if there was an feature in the admin GUI Network|Lan page where you could set static IP addresses to your devices connected to your LAN.
This would facilitate easier Windows Remote Desktop connections when tunneling from a secure network, apart from the fact that I'd like to know where things are IP wise... ;-)

Just my two cents....

Magnus
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

You may just set all the computers in your network to static IP's. The result will be the same.
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Yes I know, but I just thought it might be easier to maintain the settings in one central location....

Maybe I'm missing the point how these things are usually done, but I have the function in my old crappy D-Link DI-624 and the network administrators I have talked to says that they are not running around to each machine in a network giving it an IP address..... Not that they are using static IP addresses and not that I have that big of a network - I just thought it would be convenient....
gb119

Post by gb119 »

Binkem wrote:You may just set all the computers in your network to static IP's. The result will be the same.
Static DHCP is good when you have a laptop that migrates between more than two networks and needs to have fixed IP addresses on each of them. This has been the case for me where I've had two different work locations in addition to my home network. Yes you can get tools that will allow you to switch networks around like this, but frankly DHCP with static hosts just works and is much simpler.
whilbone

Post by whilbone »

Just edit the /etc/dnsmasq.conf and add lines similar to this:

Code: Select all

# Always give the host with ethernet address 11:22:33:44:55:66
# the name fred and IP address 192.168.0.60 and lease time 45 minutes
dhcp-host=11:22:33:44:55:66,fred,192.168.0.60,45m
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Whilbone,

That is a really good idea. I presume that some kind of restart or reboot is required to apply this ? Just saving the file does not seem to be enough to put things into action.
And also, does it matter if the MAC address is denoted in hex or dec ?
whilbone

Post by whilbone »

You don't need to restart the bubba but only the dnsmasq process.

Code: Select all

# /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart