New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Increasing choice

Good ideas? Share with us!
jws

Increasing choice

Post by jws »

AFAIK, if you use Bubba-frontend and Bubba-backend, you also commit to certain choices made by Excito; e.g. the mailserver. So I had to remove "frontend" and "backend" because I wanted the exim4 mail server, for instance. Installing exim4 automatically removed the "frontend" and "backend". I think a similar thing happens with CUPS vs LPRNG, for instance, and with the IMAP server.

Any chance of this kind of dependency being removed?
tor

Re: Increasing choice

Post by tor »

Hi jws,

It would be somewhat hard for us to remove the dependencies from our packages to the different services. This since our frontend/backend only do work with the selected packages. Ie the administration for mail etc and most of the frontend would be useless without these packages. Secondly we use these dependencies to "automatically" pull in the right packages when building the system.

What we perhaps could do is to do what we did for Bubba Server. To provide a debian only installer for those who want to use their units as pure Linux boxes and tweak them to their own liking. Would that be a usable solution or do you have any other thoughts on this?

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
iansealy

Post by iansealy »

tor wrote:What we perhaps could do is to do what we did for Bubba Server. To provide a debian only installer for those who want to use their units as pure Linux boxes and tweak them to their own liking.
That would be wonderful!

Cheers,
Ian
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

tor wrote:What we perhaps could do is to do what we did for Bubba Server. To provide a debian only installer for those who want to use their units as pure Linux boxes and tweak them to their own liking.
Hi,

Out of interest, how would this be different to uninstalling the Bubba-frontend and Bubba-backend packages and removing the Excito repos from sources.list?
tor

Post by tor »

RandomUsername wrote:
Hi,

Out of interest, how would this be different to uninstalling the Bubba-frontend and Bubba-backend packages and removing the Excito repos from sources.list?
Not very much, in the case where you uninstall our apps you still have all our other dependencies and services installed. In the debian only version you have ssh, a shell and not much more. This is intended for you to adapt.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
iansealy

Post by iansealy »

Is a Debian-only installer likely to happen? If so, any idea of timescale (weeks, months, years)?

Cheers,
Ian
jws

Post by jws »

Tor, I did not see your reply until today, sorry. What I was hoping for was not the possibility to choose a "pure Debian system"; this is possible even now, and in fact I am doing this. I would like to "save both the goat and the cabbage" as they say in Holland: keep the web interface of Bubba2 and also have the choice of what mail system, etc., you want to install.

I mean something like Bubba2 asking the first time it starts: "which mail server do you want to use", etc. With defaults being pre-selected, and a warning "if you do not understand this, you do not have to change it".

In my case the Bubba2 was a replacement for an existing home server (an old laptop with a lot of e-mail in mbox format in it), and to avoid trouble, I wanted to make the Bubba2 behave as much as possible like the old server, so it could be a "drop-in" replacement. It succeeded (my wife never noticed anything..) but unfortunately this meant sacrificing the Bubba2 web interface with its neat features.

This is not, of course, a life-or-death issue. Just something that would be nice to have. Don't spend too much time on it..

best regards, jws