New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Horde changes and idiots guide

Good ideas? Share with us!
asparak

Horde changes and idiots guide

Post by asparak »

Hi Guys,

Couple of requests, compiled from our needs and from customer feedback.

Can you update your horde install to include message filters
Increase maximum download limit from 4MB to at least10MB as standard
enable inline display of HTML mails and images
Put on your website or manual a list of services and what port they run on for people who aren't Linux hackers
Enable MySQL and Root passwords to be changed without all your updates failing
Prevent over-writing of config files if modified from your standard ones.
Disable Admin web access from outside network as default, but give option on GUI to enable it.

Thanks

Asparak
carl

Re: Horde changes and idiots guide

Post by carl »

Can you update your horde install to include message filters
The reason for excluding message filters in the first place was that horde was sadly pretty slow as it was; Though we can look into optionally enable filters
Increase maximum download limit from 4MB to at least10MB as standard
which download limit are you refering to?
enable inline display of HTML mails and images
I've looked into that issue, and I'm uncertain it is an really good idea, as there might be risk to receive malicious mails; There is an option in horde to enable it, though it might need to be passed through some sort of filter first.
Put on your website or manual a list of services and what port they run on for people who aren't Linux hackers
I'll notify the webfolks to compile such a list.
Enable MySQL and Root passwords to be changed without all your updates failing
the root password isn't any problem to change; The issue with the mysql root password is related to dbconfig-common. When mysql root password is changed, to be able to make an noninteractive upgrade, the password database (/var/cache/debconf/passwords.dat) must be updates as well.
We want to nable posibillity to change mysql root password, but to enable that is major work, and in the mean time we decided to prevent people whom changed their password from doing an noninteractive upgrade, as it will most of the time result in an broken system.
Prevent over-writing of config files if modified from your standard ones.
That was an decision we took early based on official setup an modified setup can differ a lot, and due to some severe errors we had in early releases. Current settings are pretty hard, and I will look into if they can be made less destructive.
Disable Admin web access from outside network as default, but give option on GUI to enable it.
This is the default setting, the admin user can't login from WAN per default, and there is an setting under Users→admin to allow such. Though this is only relevant in router mode, and not when in server mode.

I hope this answers some points you have, and we will look into to make the product better to use.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
asparak

Re: Horde changes and idiots guide

Post by asparak »

Hi Carl,

Giving people the option of filtering would be nice. Its something that I've been asked for by customers, who are considering Bubba as a server for SoHo use. Maybe implement the How-to for Postgresql and give non techy users a way to access it? Filtering is RAM intensive, which is why I originally suggested to Johannes that some method of upping the RAM should be looked at. USB drive as cache maybe?

Horde has a download limit of 4MB for attachments by default and its not simple to change this. Again maybe give people an option on the GUI to set this limit?

Malicious mails are a concern I agree, but some kind of option to view ones people trust would be good. Maybe display HTML inline for addresses in your whitelist?

Thanks for the website update. I look forward to it.

Changing root and MySQL passwords is the basis of any vaguely secure system, so we need to figure out how to do this. For now, how about telling people how to change these manually when they update their passwords, which I do very regularly. Maybe give people the option of choosing their own MySQL and Root passwords during the initial setup? If Windows can do it, I'm sure Linux can.

I'll need to check again with the new Bubba you guys just delivered for my customer, but I'm pretty sure Admin can log into the GUI and mail system from WAN. It might just be me though :)

Other things I've been asked for are a bit more difficult to implement. Ability to better control services via the GUI, such as turning CUPS on and off etc. Basically, if its running as a service, non linux people would want to control it via the Admin interface.

Better control over the firewall config. I never run a webserver on a private system on port 80 or SSH on 22 and I don't like FTP running at all :)

You guys already have a fantastic product, which is why I'm happy to buy and recommend them to my clients, I'm just trying to help you guys make it more Windows User friendly.Not all of the people I could be selling these to know what a CLI is, nor would I want to let them loose on one.

More than happy to help you beta test stuff.