New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Allow backup.pl utility to support other types of connection

Good ideas? Share with us!
RandomUsername

Allow backup.pl utility to support other types of connection

Post by RandomUsername »

Bubba's built in backup script uses Duplicity but only allows backups to local disks or over ftp and ssh.

According to the Duplicity man page:
Currently local, ftp, ssh/scp, rsync, WebDAV, WebDAVs, HSi and Amazon S3 backends are available.
It shouldn't be too difficult to add these other few as options. Amazon S3 would be an especially cool feature.
RandomUsername

Re: Allow backup.pl utility to support other types of connection

Post by RandomUsername »

Slightly related - as I think my first backup has crapped out (can't confirm till I get home) I've been looking at whether duplicity is able to resume backups from where they failed. The latest versions of duplicity seem to support this (from about 0.6 onwards). I believe - again unable to confirm till I get home - that the Bubbas are running a version in the low 5s. Once we get an updated version of duplicity in the repos, please make sure the backup script supports this feature.

Thanks.
carl

Post by carl »

We will try to have an upgraded version of duplicity in a near future when we have confirmed it will work backward compatible with the current version; Regarding the backends the limitation is how to in a good way visualize the different options in the web interface.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Just a quick follow up:

I've spent the best part of the day playing with Duplicity version 0.6.06 and haven't had any luck with getting the resume feature to work properly (either with the perl script / web admin or directly from the CLI). The good news is all the basic functionality still works but that's hardly and incentive to upgradethe package :(

I've posted a couple of questions on their Launchpad page but in the meantime I've rolled it back to the version in the repositories.

Should you ever decide to increase the functionality of the backup script (please do!) then I'd be happy to to do some testing for you.

In the meantime here's my kludgey workaround for getting big backup sets backed up to my online storage (I'm trying to backup 100s GB and can't practically do it in smaller backup sets. Obviously this will take days and my ftp connection keeps getting lost after a day or two for different reasons - hence the request to get the new version of Duplicity working). Fortunately, my online storage provider has not just ftp but also rsync access so for the minute I'm running a backup to the Bubba's local ftp server (I wasn't sure if that would work) and I've wrote a script that rsyncs the directory I'm saving backups into to the online storage. The script relaunches every hour if it drops out for whatever reason. Once everything's online I can then remove the script and the local backups.