New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B2 Softwareupdate

Good ideas? Share with us!
Binkem

Re: B2 Softwareupdate

Post by Binkem »

I don't agree with you Ubbe. The Excito products have always been very adaptable for those who want to dig into this using SSH. The crew have always been busy developing the software and they are fast to reply whenever I encounter problems.
This is very much unlike Apple.
ubbe

Post by ubbe »

I agree with you. Apple produkts isnt very adaptable for those who want to dig into this using SSH.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

take this useless flame war somewhere else.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Rude and infuriating as he might be, Ubi usually has a point :-)
This is supposed to be about a feature request.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

To be honest I don't know whether to be flattered or offended by that remark :D
gatto

Post by gatto »

Actually I just bought a Bubba|2 and I already find myself with a server with no security update and not able to recognize my hardware.
No way I'm gonna leave my files on a server with sw which is not supported. and this is a brand new machine!!!
Contacting the help at excito, I've been told that they are working hard to provide this update, or at least an iso with a fresh install.
I'm hopefully waiting, as I find really incorrect to sell stuff that can't be used.
Unluckily it appears that no release schedule is provided, and this is not very comforting.

What to say, once I get tired of waiting, I'll try to upgrade to debian squeeze by myself and then I'll try to configure it with some free software, but I'm not that linux expert and this is gonna require a huge amount of time.

By the way, if this will happen, there is no way I'm going to suggest B3 to my friends and workmates, because it's likely that in some years they'll be left out there in the cold, too.
On the contrary, if the opposite will happen, I'll think of B3 as a good device for a home server.
For suggesting it for work purposes, I think a lot more of support should be shown...

...btw, I faithfully wait for an update, even if I'd find it much more serious to let us know when this is foreseen. It's just a matter of clarity and fairness

Best regards
gatto
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Your point is a fair one, and you are not alone

Let me first state that the OS on bubba is extremely stable and secure, and nearly all security updates issued for the os on the b2 confront very exotic situations and local exploits as maximum. I'm a sysadmin for over 500 domains and I have my personal data on a non-updated B1, which is actually older than the one you are having.

Second, we've been noticing decreased attention from Excito on this forum. So I would like to ask you to express your feelings to the mailbox at excito, and I would suggest anyone with the same problems to do this as well.
gatto

Post by gatto »

Hi Ubi, thanks for answering

I already wrote them

My main problem is that I wanted Bubba 2 to act as a print server, but it doesn't handle my printer correctly, thing that happens flawless on my other debian based machines (both based on squeeze)

I already sent a couple emails to excito, they say they're after an update of the sw, but they didn't really say when they expect it to be...
Therefore I don't know if this was a way to keep me calm or if they're really after it, as I see it was promised a lot of time ago on the forum...

It's a pity and somehow stupid that the people at excito don't look at these forums, as they suggest to look for support here, on the website...

btw, I keep waiting for this famous update...let's see if that happens...
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

The last posts to this topic have been deleted as they are off topic.
(at the request of the poster)

Martijn
johannes

Post by johannes »

I moved my reply to this topic to a new one to make it easier to find (thanks Ubi).

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2997
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)