New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B2 Software update - Excito's plans

Good ideas? Share with us!
LudwigVan

Re: B2 Software update - Excito's plans

Post by LudwigVan »

Hi Johannes,

how is the developement going on?

L.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Forward, a bit too slow than we want to as usual. The B3 2.3 releasing very soon and after that we'll move on to the promised B2 development.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
gatto

Post by gatto »

good to hear, thank you very much
nikbr998

Post by nikbr998 »

Hi,

Any updates on the progress?

Looking forward to the release :)

Cheers,
Niklas
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, we have a beta released with a few known issues, and will release the final release candidate this week. Look here.
scott-2

Post by scott-2 »

johannes wrote:Yes, we have a beta released with a few known issues, and will release the final release candidate this week. Look here.
Thank you! I look forward to the final release.

Sadly I cannot help with testing the beta, since life is too busy. I'm not much of a linux hobbyist (I spent most of last weekend working on Microsoft SQL Server performance issues at my job). So I eagerly await a stable release which will cause me little angst.
LudwigVan

Post by LudwigVan »

Hi Johannes,

Just running Backup-jobs and buying a new Machine for the home network I was wondering if there is now a RC for the new B|2-Software?

L.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi LudwigVan,

Yes, we have a relese candidate now, but it has known (serious) bugs so I don't recommend using it. We finalized a new try last friday and we'll be making some quick tests next week, so a new RC will be availble within a week or so.

Best,
/Johannes
christian.einarsson

Post by christian.einarsson »

First I must say that I am extremely happy that you decided to do an upgrade of the B2 and that I understand that it takes a lot of work.

I would like to know if there is a list of known serious bugs in the RC publicly available? I have not managed to find one.
I'm really eager to upgrade my B2 and would be glad to provide feedback on the process. But it would be easier to decide if it's worth the risk if the bug list was available.
I'm not asking for anything fancy. A wiki page, a forum thread in announcements or feature requests where you post when a new RC is available and list the bigger issues you know are present and which ones have been fixed since the last release. Of course there should be a disclaimer in large and bold typeface.

I believe this would get you more people willing to test the release and thus also more feedback.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Good points. Until we figure out a more presentable way to do this I'll just post the known's here:

The RC available now (version E) has the following known serious issues:

- dhcp server present itself as B3 (should be B2)
- startup wizard outputs php error (still usable though)
- backup functionalitey lacks css - not usable
- Creating RAID not possible (unconfirmed)
- many texts not translated to german and spanish
Daniel.T

Post by Daniel.T »

christian.einarsson wrote:First I must say that I am extremely happy that you decided to do an upgrade of the B2 and that I understand that it takes a lot of work.
I am also very happy that you will release new updates to B2!
Keep up the good work!
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

If the issues Johannes mentioned are the serious ones, i think Excito are very near to releasing the update!
annun

Post by annun »

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am interested in what kernel modules will the ported kernel contain.

I am specifically looking for ebtables (http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/), which is not included in the standard B2 distribution.

I need ebtables because of multicast filtering, but I suppose it would be quite useful for other routing / filtering purposes as well.

But whatever is the answer, thanks for this amazing effort! It is great to see that Excito is willing to support older products in this fashion. Not every company does this.
johannes

Post by johannes »

We'll look into it, but we have a difficult limitation on the B2 kernel, if it exceeds 2 MB the bootloader won't take it. :( We are on the limit already so don't have too high expectations.
annun

Post by annun »

I do not expect Excito to lose precious hours because some random guy on the Internet needs ebtables :), so no worries if it's not possible. But thank you for checking!

Hope the work is going well, looking forward to the upgrade.