New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

A sticker with the MAC addresses!

Good ideas? Share with us!
rxmd

A sticker with the MAC addresses!

Post by rxmd »

Here's a simple suggestion: a sticker with the default MAC addresses of the LAN and WAN interfaces.

This would make it a lot easier to configure DHCP servers etc. without having to log in, especially since logging in may not work if there's a problem with the DHCP setup. On a "black box" type device where the only interface to the world is an Ethernet jack, a sticker with the MAC address is the least you can do.
RandomUsername

Re: A sticker with the MAC addresses!

Post by RandomUsername »

Not sure how a MAC address is going to help you configure a DHCP server...
rxmd

Post by rxmd »

RandomUsername wrote:Not sure how a MAC address is going to help you configure a DHCP server...
Um, static leases?

If you have a network with an existing DHCP server (say, an existing broadband router), you usually don't want to have your B3 pop up at random IP addresses wherever your DHCP server puts it. Particularly when setting up your B3 and you don't know what IP address it's been assigned, so you can't get into the web interface, and http://b3 won't work because your router's DNS server doesn't know anything about the hostname "b3". In either case you'll need to configure your DHCP server somehow, as in "assign address X to this MAC address". Same with any device that's configured using DHCP and that you want to have at a defined address.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

OK, fair point, but are static leases best practice? The "D" in DHCP stands for dynamic you know :p

What I'd do is plug a computer directly into the B3, set it up with a static IP address outside of your DHCP range but still on the subnet, then you can connect it to where you want on the network.
rxmd

Post by rxmd »

RandomUsername wrote:OK, fair point, but are static leases best practice? The "D" in DHCP stands for dynamic you know :p
I'd say they are, why wouldn't they be? A static lease is just another DHCP lease, except that the IP address is chosen reproducibly (but then again nowhere in RFC 2131 does it say that it has to be otherwise). They're the most convenient way to administer an IP address space - whether you simply want reproducible IP mappings, or whether you want to push changed network configuration changes to all the clients automatically without having to log into every single appliance on your network individually.
What I'd do is plug a computer directly into the B3, set it up with a static IP address outside of your DHCP range but still on the subnet, then you can connect it to where you want on the network.
This works, but it involves a lot of connecting, disconnecting and setting manual addresses; with a static lease is just a single configuration option in your existing router.

Really, there is no reason not to print the MAC address on a device with an ethernet interface. There's a reason why practically everybody does it.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

The reason is that it takes a lot of time (turning machine on, reading mac address, make sticker). But I agree it's a good idea.
rxmd

Post by rxmd »

Ubi wrote:The reason is that it takes a lot of time (turning machine on, reading mac address, make sticker). But I agree it's a good idea.
Hm. I guess there's some testing being done in production anyway - I guess you could do the readout during the testing phase?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Now that I think about it, there is no way of setting up static leases in B3's dhcp admin interface, is it? Guess that would be a good idea now that we are talking wishes here. Not that I've seen any use for it this far, but I admit it's a prettier solution than hardcoding static IP's on the machines...

/Daniel
Eek

Post by Eek »

No there isn't
you have to edit the dnsmasq.conf
You can view the static DHCP leases from the admin interface page (Network/LAN)

When first booting the bubba, it assumes server mode, so it starts it's own DHCP server and the LAN connection is not requesting a DHCP lease.
Suppose there could be some clever way to detect if it should be in server mode or "client" mode when first booting.
But then again, i always go for the option of starting the bubba connected directly to my laptop and then setting it up properly, before letting it loose on my network ;-)
cheers
Eek
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yep, this request has come before, and yes, next production batch will have one. :)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

johannes wrote:Yep, this request has come before, and yes, next production batch will have one. :)
Good. What color will it have? :D

More serious questions: What about the ability to att static dhcp leases from the admin interface? I think most modern routers have this functionality built in.

/Daniel
johannes

Post by johannes »

The sticker color is considered a company secret, can't let you know, sorry. ;)

Yes, your request is on the list, but will probably not be prioritized soon, for two reasons: 1) there are other features higher on the list, and 2) this is a feature that adds configuration options for tech-savvy network experts, won't add much for the common man. It somewhat contradicts our goal towards ease-of-use, adding to many wheels and buttons might confuse users.

Am I wrong? Let me know and I'll correct myself. :)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I appreciate the need to strike a balance of simplicity and advanced features. It's not a feature that I think many people would be requiring.
Eek

Post by Eek »

agreed and I probably fit the tech-savvy category :wink:
but what I also like about dnsmasq is the ability to add a dns name.
This is a function that most routers do not offer.

For instance the ability to connect with the DNS name centosvm to reach my VM with CentOS
#Parallels VM
dhcp-host=00:1C:42:EE:57:C7,centosvm,10.29.4.92,infinite

Or other bubba servers :D
#Exicto - Bubba Server - Sid
dhcp-host=00:03:1C:FF:F3:72,sid,10.29.4.81,infinite
cheers
Eek
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

well you still can do exactly this, but just not in the web interface. But that's not a problem for you is it :D