New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

ownCloud and FreedomBox

Good ideas? Share with us!
rjakobsson

ownCloud and FreedomBox

Post by rjakobsson »

Hi,
I just thought that these two projects have a lot in common with you and your software:
owncloud - "Web services under your control"
and the FreedomBox - "Freedom in a box" ;)

Other similar projects that you know about?
theWebalyst

Re: ownCloud and FreedomBox

Post by theWebalyst »

I just heard about FreedomBox (here's the WikiPedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomBox).

A FreedomBox is: a personal server running a free software operating system, with free applications designed to create and preserve personal privacy.

They say it is free software designed to run on plug hardware. Can this be supported on B3?

Also ownCloud? (Though I have not looked at that - sounds like just what I need!)

Also Diaspora! :-)

BTW If you are on Diaspora please hook up with me by searching for thewebalyst@joindiaspora.com (from any pod). It would be great to have some B3 buddies on Diaspora with me!

If you want an invite to join diaspora, PM me your email and I'll send you an invite.

Mark
rjakobsson

Post by rjakobsson »

Yeah, the freedom box software bundle (or whatever it will end up being) is still in heavy development. I think that the B3 offers the perfect environment to experiment with this idea.

Are you running your own Diaspora pod? Have you considered doing that on your device?
I'll add you as soon as I get my pod working :) !
oliver

Post by oliver »

sounds great ! I like the idea with the "owncloud" because I dont want give my personal files google or others :roll:
Would be great to have a ability to run an own, personal, cloud at your b3.

Thanks

Oliver
toukie

Post by toukie »

I installed ownCloud on B3 but can't finish the installation and start using it.

I get: "Data directory (/home/web/owncloud/data) not writable by ownCloud
." and: "Permissions can usually be fixed by giving the webserver write access to the ownCloud directory"

Giving the right permissions (0770) to Data directory doesn't change things. What am I missing?

I did the symlink thing but it didn't change things.
toukie

Post by toukie »

solved it by: chown -R www-data: /home/web/owncloud/data
now it is the same old problem with DATABASE and MySQL, but it will be sorted out hopefully soon.
toukie

Post by toukie »

ownCloud is installed. Now the problem is the max. upload size of files given by B3. It is a quite useless 2MB. The config file (php.ini) where one should be able to change the values just doesn't want to change anything!

How can I change to more reasonable values of upload size? I had max.512 MB upload size on another instance of ownCloud. 2MB is useless.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

toukie wrote:ownCloud is installed. Now the problem is the max. upload size of files given by B3. It is a quite useless 2MB. The config file (php.ini) where one should be able to change the values just doesn't want to change anything!

How can I change to more reasonable values of upload size? I had max.512 MB upload size on another instance of ownCloud. 2MB is useless.
Which php.ini did you change? There are more than one. You probably have the following ones:

Code: Select all

/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
/etc/php5/cgi/php.ini
/etc/php5/cli/php.ini
/Daniel
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

I have ownCloud 3 working and had to change the php.ini settings (three places I think). Almost certainly the apache2 one.

ownCloud works a treat, much nicer photo albumn than B3's, full user & group control etc. Really excellent cloud support.

Mark
toukie

Post by toukie »

thx for advice!

Changing values in all three php.ini config files got me started.

I changed the value 20M to 2000M but it gives only 8 MB max. upload size which is far from being enough, photos and music files are typically over 10MB. How do I get something like 512MB or just 20MB? Is it OK to double the value or to put even more?

Why is the value only 2MB from the beginning?

The photo gallery in ownCloud is really nice.
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

To clarify: I made three changes to one php.ini file.

Mark
nobody

Post by nobody »

you also need to increase "post_max_size" in php.ini.
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

Here are my notes for getting ownCloud 3 working on B3

Recommend using FireFox as ownCloud seems to have problems with other browsers (see subsequent posts) [EDIT]

PHP Tweaks
Open the PHP configuration file in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini, look for:
upload_max_filesize = 2M
post_max_size= 2M
In place of 2M I put 1000M (8000M was too big!)
And...
memory_limit= 128M
Replace 128M with 1024M to pass test script:

Then restart apache:

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

ownCloud Itself
I unpacked files to /home/web/owncloud3.0.0 (This time I did it from Windows using WinRAR and it took ages! First time round I used "use tar xjf" to extract the ".bz2" download file and that was quick)

Created a link:
ln -s owncloud3.0.0 owncloud
chown -R www-data:www-data owncloud*
Visited http://b3/owncloud and entered credentials as for Installation (below)

Bookmarks App
For the bookmarks app it says you need php-curl. So here's what I did:

apt-get install php5-curl

Open the php.ini file using whatever text editor you have:
nano /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
vi /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

You then need to add the following line to your php.ini file, under extensions (which is towards the bottom of the file, so keep scrolling):
extension=php_curl.so

Because of the way PHP is setup on Bubba, you also need to create a symbol link: (solution hat tip: on the forums):
ln –s /etc/php5/conf.d/curl.ini /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/curl.ini

Changes to the php settings will require a server restart:
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Music & Photos
I already had folders on B3 with mirrored copies of my music and pictures files, so to get them into ownCloud all I did was create symbolic links from the mirrors to my ownCloud data folder:
Last edited by theWebalyst on 16 Mar 2012, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
toukie

Post by toukie »

I now have Upload max. 32MB for new files on ownCloud/B3. On my Mac I have Upload max. 512MB.

Text editor doesn't work, music doesn't play, and it's impossible to create new users so something is still missing somewhere.
toukie

Post by toukie »

Things seem to work in Firefox but not in other browsers.