New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Please update HORDE to their new Version 4

Good ideas? Share with us!
oliver

Please update HORDE to their new Version 4

Post by oliver »

Hi there,

looking for a smart solution for get my emails, calendar and contacts handeld without giving all to google, apple, microsoft or something else :cry: . The used Horde webmail in B3 is a very nice tool but it´s not possible to get push-mails, sync with smartphones etc.

Just have a look at HORDE´s webpage. They present their newest version 4 which can do all the things told before :D

It would be great to have this version at our B3´s 8) .

@excito: what do you think about that ?

Thanks

Oliver
Ubi

Re: Please update HORDE to their new Version 4

Post by Ubi »

two things:
1) your main issue seems to be push-mails and smart phone syncing. This is easily accomplished with an IMAP client with short polling interval (this is actually kinda the way "push-mail" really works.)

2) Horde has become an overbloated monster that is a pain to admin in a low-overhead environment. Most user actually dislike all the features, as they stand in the way when they just want to send a bloody email. I moved my servers from Horde to Roundcube and for the time ever I received over 10 thank-you mails from users.

So I see your point in asking for Horde 4, but personally I hope Excito dumps Horde altogether and focuses on a fast alternative
oliver

Post by oliver »

Ubi,

I dont mind if Roundcube can handle the sync with emails, contacts and calendars. I only need a solution that will work for me. Dont care if it will be horde or something else.

Thanks

Oliver
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, we are looking into this issue as the Horde we have now lacks some features. We first intended to update to Horde 4 after some user requests, but found it to be the monster Ubi is speaking about.

We have been looking at Roundcube but afaik it doesn't have sync support, right?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
oliver

Post by oliver »

@Johannes
@all

maybe there is another software available which supports all needs ?

Thanks

Oliver
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

this zafara thing looks promising in this respect. I just don't think it is worth the developement and maintenance effort. Remember this thing has to run out-of-the box 100% of the time without professional maintenance. Combining that with sync is very very challenging.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

There are a couple of good plugins for roundcube that allow you to sync contacts and calendar with Google, but of course the OP is trying to avoid that. I used to use syncml with Horde (but had a lot of issues with it like duplicate entries). Not sure if roundcube has syncml support but it might be worth finding out.
Joric17

Post by Joric17 »

I was also interested in the update from Horde 3 to Horde 4 because I really appreciate all the pim and sync functionality, and the new modern look of Horde 4 so I gived it a try to install.
But indeed, like more or less expected, it was too slow on my B3.
So I had to switch back to Horde3 :cry:
At my opinion there is no alternative if you want more than just webmail functionality....
Last edited by Joric17 on 10 Dec 2011, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Puma

Post by Puma »

I was interested as well.

But if Horde 4 is slower than I would like to keep Horde 3.

I use horde as IMAP to serve my laptops and desktop (with client thunderbird) and my HTC phone with syncml.

This all functions well.

Only missing is taskmanager sync with thunderbird. but this is not really an issue.

So if no good alternative I would like to keep the horde 3 as it is......

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
lucio

Post by lucio »

Hi there,

Can't Hastymail be considered an alternative to horde ?

It seems to be lightweight compared to horde, is open source and, if I've read the feature list right, supports mobile syncing/view, IMAP, etc.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

horde is not an IMAP server, but a client!