New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Share function

Good ideas? Share with us!
dreni

Share function

Post by dreni »

I would love to have a share a file/folder function. Like the dropbox "public link" function.
Would this be hard to implement?

Best regards
dreni
Gordon

Re: Share function

Post by Gordon »

Not really. As far as complexity goes it's mostly about being able to safely modify the smb.conf file (or a dedicated include file for additional shares).

Whether it will be useful is a bit of a question since the storage area on the B3 is already shared as a whole ('Home') and new shares would be subfolders of that main share (just like 'Storage' is). Of course this can be fixed easily by dropping the 'Home' share (or better: make it available to the superuser only).

Now here's a little trick that I actually didn't know of until recently: Samba has implemented Windows registry that you can connect to remotely (using regedit on a Windows operated machine) and you can use this to define shares. There's some nice reading on this subject on Linux Magazine
johannes

Post by johannes »

@dreni, maybe I'm wrong but are you referring to sharing files over http, i.e. creating a custom link for a folder or a file, to which everyone can access? This is already there, in some form at least:

- place your files/folder in /home/web
- the link to the files will be yourname.myownb3.com/myfolder/

is this what you ment?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

johannes wrote:@dreni, maybe I'm wrong but are you referring to sharing files over http, i.e. creating a custom link for a folder or a file, to which everyone can access? This is already there, in some form at least:

- place your files/folder in /home/web
- the link to the files will be yourname.myownb3.com/myfolder/

is this what you ment?
I think what he meant (and what could sometimes come in handy) is a more automated version of what you're describing above. Ie click somewhere, upload the file, automatically get some random url (something that is hard to guess) for it, and then the file is automatically deleted after a chosen time interval.

Just off the top of my head :-)

/Daniel