New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Easyfind or not easyfind?

Good ideas? Share with us!

Do you like easyfind?

No, it fills my logs with crap and serves no purpose. Please remove it with the next update.
56%
Yes, I love easyfind. Its the main reason for buying a B3!
33%
What is easyfind?
11%

Total votes: 9

nobody

Easyfind or not easyfind?

Post by nobody »

Theres a lot of chatter on easyfind. Let the bubba devs know what you think about this package!
DanielM

Re: Easyfind or not easyfind?

Post by DanielM »

I don't think any of those answers fit my opinion. I have no need for easyfind myself as I think it's worth 99 SEK a year having a real domain instead, so on my B3 I don't want it running. BUT I think it's a nice thing to have for people who needs it, so I see no reason for a complete removal of it from Excitos product line.

/Daniel
Puma

Post by Puma »

Yes I use it all of the time.

When i'm at work, abroad
When i want to connect to my father bubba easy find is nice.

In holland we have dynamic IP adresses so its nice.

When my service provider places a new router i.e. i get sometimes a new ip number.

Eayfind = Usefull

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Puma wrote:In holland we have dynamic IP adresses so its nice.
Just one comment here: I also have dynamic IP (although it was some years since it last changed). I'd have to pay my isp extra for a static one. However my dns name provider Loopia has support for dynamic dns, so all I had to do was install and configure ddclient on my B3. I don't know if this is anything unusual or if most providers do this.

/Daniel
toukie

Post by toukie »

With Easyfind you get started right "out of the box", it is definitely a good selling argument!
B3 works nicely as an introduction to things for a non-geek person. The more advanced users can probably turn off features they don't need. Why to deny them for others? Things like Easyfind broaden the base of potential customers.

I have had B3 in a year now, it's a great educational tool! I have busted it a couple of times but reinstalling is easy. I have learned things like how to run WordPress blogs from B3, use of databases etc. The community forum has been very useful.
Last edited by toukie on 21 Dec 2012, 17:59, edited 2 times in total.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I agree with Daniel. I've got a fixed IP and a domain so I don't have any need for easyfind. It's good to have it though for those who are not too versed with computers (provided it works)
toukie

Post by toukie »

Easyfind works just fine, I never had a problem with it.
ther

Re: Re: Easyfind or not easyfind?

Post by ther »

toukie wrote:Easyfind works just fine, I never had a problem with it.
I second that. Really useful and serves my purposes nicely. Thanks Excito!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I think I may be missing the issue here, but that may be because I skipped the last few updates (I should have skipped the one before, but that's another story).

From what I gather Excito changed the old behaviour of triggering an easyfind update on receiving a new DHCP lease to some timed instance that can deal with the B3 being behind another router. While that may be useful to some people (which would include yours truly) I don't think this justifies confronting every owner with the additional overhead and filling of the system logs. Particularly users that don't even have easyfind enabled shouldn't be confronted with easyfind errormessages.
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

I find easyfind useful, but I don't want to get notifications to log files every 10 seconds that just tell me that my IP did not change, I know it did not change as it didn't change the last 18 months.
toukie

Post by toukie »

Doesn't fill any logs anymore, the problem is easily solved by the instructions found here: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4310
johannes

Post by johannes »

Following this with interest. Is the conclusion of this thread that some of you are really angry with the "filling the logs when turned off" bug, but apart from that everything is fine? That bug is scheduled for fix soon.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

johannes wrote:Following this with interest. Is the conclusion of this thread that some of you are really angry with the "filling the logs when turned off" bug, but apart from that everything is fine?
That seems like a correct conclusion. I don't think anyone is "really angry" though (or am I completely wrong here?), in my opinion this is a minor bug and there are simple workarounds for it.

/Danniel
nobody

Post by nobody »

I just started the tread because i had no idea why anyone would find easyfind useful. Apparently quite a few people do like it, so its a good thing it remains in the standard install. Thanks everyone for participting!
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

toukie wrote:Doesn't fill any logs anymore, the problem is easily solved by the instructions found here: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4310
The odd thing is, it prevents the HD from spinning down completely - even if easyfind is disabled in the web-interface the continous writes to the log persist and keep the HD busy.

To really stop easyfind (also after reboot), see here: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 303#p21602.

Happy New Year,
Ingo
UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are.