New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Want admin to have every permission.

Good ideas? Share with us!
86ivar

Want admin to have every permission.

Post by 86ivar »

Hi.
I struggle to get rid of some files and folders, i cant delete them due to permissions. (I added the files with another user i had before i reinstalled bubba2)
I want admin to have all the permissions so I can delete them.
RandomUsername

Re: Want admin to have every permission.

Post by RandomUsername »

There are a few ways to do this but it is not recommended. The reason admin doesn't have those abilities is because it's used to access the web interface. If someone sniffed your admin password or somehow hacked your web interface they would have full access to your entire system.

...Question that just occurred to me: How are you trying to delete the files? Via the web interface or through SSH?
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

RandomUsername wrote:There are a few ways to do this but it is not recommended. The reason admin doesn't have those abilities is because it's used to access the web interface. If someone sniffed your admin password or somehow hacked your web interface they would have full access to your entire system.

...Question that just occurred to me: How are you trying to delete the files? Via the web interface or through SSH?
Tried deleting the folder in samba first, no permissions windows said. Then tried in the web interface, get the message: Failed to delete following files/folders. I can try SSH later today but im not an expert on that... think I should manage it anyway. I have had problems deleting files and folders before so I would like a easy way of doing it.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Well, the "proper" way of doing it is to log into SSH as a normal user then su to root.
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

Doing that all the time takes time...
Anyway now im trying to delete it in ssh but get the message "failed to remove, directory not empty."
I use the command rmdir
How can i brute force delete?

Edit: Fixed it! just had to find a better debian tutorial.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Well if you can't spare the extra five seconds it takes, you could look at setting up sudo which will temporarily give a normal account root priveliges, but like I say, I wouldn't recommend it.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

If you're a Windows guy you could always add another user and name that 'administrator'. By adding that user to the samba configuration as an 'admin user' you will effectively grant root rights to this user, but only through samba.