New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Build your own USB connected NEXA remote control

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
6feet5

Build your own USB connected NEXA remote control

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi all,

Almost an off topic post, but the bubba is such a perfect host for a project like this.

Some weeks ago I bought a set of NEXA power plugs with a remote, and inspired by the Automatic light howto, I decided to try and build my own Tellstick to control them from my bubba.

I'm finally done and best of all, no hardware was damaged in the process despite a tiny mistake by me. I managed to swap plus and minus from the USB cable to my device and holy crap, did that poor microcontroller get hot. Anyway, both computer and microcontroller survived this treatment.

Image Image

I've added the project page to my homepage in case anyone of you want to try and build one too. The tar file contain basic instructions, schematic, software for the device (both source and HEX file) and the source code for a command line tool to control it.

I'm warning you though, things can go terribly wrong if you make misstakes. Opposable thumbs is a must, and if you don't know which end of the soldering iron goes into your hand, stay away, buy a real Tellstick from Telldus instead.

If this doesn't stop you, have fun building one.

/Johan

PS. You need additional equipment to program the microcontroller, but that is rather easy to build too.
johannes

Re: Build your own USB connected NEXA remote control

Post by johannes »

This is so nice, thanks for sharing! (And sorry for my late notice). :D
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)