New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Does anyone want to trade some storage space?

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
RandomUsername

Does anyone want to trade some storage space?

Post by RandomUsername »

I've had an idea, it might be crud, it might be great.

Short story, feel free to skip this bit:
I am obsessed with keeping online backups. When I was running a Windows box I used Mozy. Now I've my Bubba2, finding a backup company that supports Linux is hard enough - but finding someone that supports Linux on PPC architecture and no GUI - forget it. I like the built in backup facility of the Bubba2 but online ftp storage is pretty expensive. I need about 250 - 300 GB backed up so I signed up to an unlimited ftp storage company that was really cheap but turned out to be pretty crap in terms of uptime and support. I found it almost impossible to get any backups to complete before their servers went down again. I've just cancelled that account so I'm back to square one.
But the thought has occurred to me - I can't be the only one in this boat so how about I trade 300 GB of storage on my Bubba for 300 GB of storage on someone else's Bubba?

I think it's fair to lay down some rules/points.

1. My backups would be fairly static (home movies, that kind of thing) so after the initial backup I imagine I'd use about 10 GB of bandwidth per month.
2. I have a stable, unlimited Internet connection so you can be sure your backups will be available 24/7 (subject to the normal hiccups with having a 'net connection) - I'd expect the same.
3. My backups would be encrypted by the Bubba software at my end so I wouldn't expect you to be responsible for security - ditto the other way round.
4. If you start using more space than agreed without prior approval I reserve the right to cut off your access and I'd be happy to give you the same right.

Any takers? And if anyone else wants to trade space here, please feel free.
mcg

Re: Does anyone want to trade some storage space?

Post by mcg »

I can't take you up on your offer here, but I think perhaps by bumping this more eyeballs might see it and you'll get some interest.

I think it's a great idea, and in fact I'm in the process of implementing it by installing a second Bubba|Two at my parents' place. They were in need of a firewall anyway, and I'm in need of 800GB or so of off-site storage, so there you go. In fact they'll probably use 100GB or so themselves, so now they'll get triple backups just like me. (The Bubba at my house replicates the data to an external disk.)

Anyway, good luck with the hunt!
RandomUsername

Re: Does anyone want to trade some storage space?

Post by RandomUsername »

Thanks. I've kind of given up hoping for any replies and I'm going down a different route now.