New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Hi there community + newbie question re. network setup

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
magnusgullo

Hi there community + newbie question re. network setup

Post by magnusgullo »

Hi there Bubba Two community!

At last, I'm a Bubba Two (1 TB WLAN) owner, since a few hours. Very happy with it so far. Now I only have to plug it in and start it up... :lol: Let's hope I'll stay that happy!

For several years, I've been using computers at home connected to the Internet in different ways. For a very long time, I've had a physical NAT router/firewall between the ISP and the computers. The recommended setup option for Bubba, however, doesn't include such a piece of hardware. As I know only some basics about Linux, can someone more experienced in Linux/Bubba please comment on the fact that the machine (at least some ports) will be exposed to "the wild". Or maybe link to a relevant discussion on this topic?

In general; is there some list of tips and tricks I should always consider, or should I just change the admin password, use it and stay relaxed?

Regards,
# Magnus Gullö
Kiff

Re: Hi there community + newbie question re. network setup

Post by Kiff »

You might consider changing the ssh port. While it's not really making you "secure" (ssh access is still there), it will prevent attackers who just try the default ssh port.

You can make the change in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restart ssh. (probably "/etc/init.d/ssh restart"). SSH access for root is turned off by default, and it's a good idea to leave it at that :)

You can also consider restricting access to various services (like ssh) with hosts.allow and hosts.deny. If you only need ssh access from the local network, this might be a good idea. Info:
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/bl ... ostsal.htm
http://static.closedsrc.org/articles/dn ... allow.html
(and test with another terminal window so you don't lock yourself out)
magnusgullo

Re: Hi there community + newbie question re. network setup

Post by magnusgullo »

Thanks, Kiff! I changed the port nr to [well, there's no point to it if I make it public...]. :D