New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba home video/audio server solutions

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
theWebalyst

Bubba home video/audio server solutions

Post by theWebalyst »

Hi,

I bought Bubba for backup and am slowly putting it to that and more uses. I would like to be able to use it to store video, audio, photo etc files to be accessed via TV and/or HiFi, and the solution seems to be to have a second device that can see Bubba's file system.

Question is: what are the options for the device and connecting to Bubba. I have Bubba|2 WiFi, so my connection options are:
- USB
- LAN (RJ45)
- WLAN

So what suggestions/set-ups do you have for a devices that link to Bubba and allow us to access stored media on TV and HiFi?

It would be great to compile a list of options (device, connection method, funcitonality availlable, UI/control method(s)). This would be a great resource, and a great way to sell more Bubbas! So I would like to invite Excito to support compilation of a list, perhaps as part of the Wiki. I have limited time to do this myself, but am happy to collect people's posts together into a summary page and update it on the Wiki from time to time.

Please post your suggestions here, and we can work out what to do with them later.

I suggest the following fields (example values included, the model numbers are made up!)

Short Name: TV & Audio using spare Laptop
Short Description:
I have (not really - this is an example) a T41 ThinkPad Windows laptop, connected to my TV and HiFi, and linked to Bubba via USB. Video is taken from an S-Video output direct to the phono TV input, and sound from the laptop audio out plugs into the HiFi.
Player Hardware: Sony CDE45 TV, Sony R345 HiFi
Intermediate Hardware: ThinkPad T41 Laptop (Windows XP SP3)
Bubba Hardware: Bubba|2 WiFi
Video Connection: Laptop S-Video out
Audio Connection: Laptop audio out
Bubba Connection: USB
Functionality: Plays Bubba video/audio files through TV, audio files through HiFi
User Interface: Any TV/audio playing software on the laptop. I use blah blah.

Snip this to contribute...

Code: Select all

Short Name: 
Short Description:
Player Hardware: 
Video Connection: 
Audio Connection: 
Bubba Connection: 
Functionality: 
User Interface: 
Mark
johannes

Re: Bubba home video/audio server solutions

Post by johannes »

Great post, and you are right! We have also considered a compatibility matrix in the wiki, but until we find the time, this is my personal setup:

B2 with WiFi as router/access point
Squeezebox Classic next to my stereo. Works really great, all my CD:s are now in a box somewhere.
Popcorn hour next to my TV.

I have also used the PS3 as video playback sometimes, works great.

[Edit: Following your template:]
Short Name: Music and Internet radio playback on Squeezebox
Short Description: Using squeezebox classic and the squeezebox server in B2
Player Hardware: Bubba 2
Video Connection: -
Audio Connection: Squeezebox classic -> home made stereo
Bubba Connection: WiFi
Functionality: mp3 and wma playback
User Interface: Squeezebox classic display and remote control

Short Name: Music playback using Fireplay
Short Description: My own music collection at work. As spotify but with my own music.
Player Hardware: Any PC
Video Connection: -
Audio Connection: Sennheiser headphones
Bubba Connection: Over internet
Functionality: MP3 playback
User Interface: Fireplay (music icon in web frontend)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
lelle

Post by lelle »

Hi!

Here's my contribution:

Short Name: Music playback on chipped original Microsoft XBOX and PopcornHour PCH-A100
Short Description: Music playback on original Microsoft XBOX and PopcornHour PCH-A100 using Bubba|Two and Excito B3 running MediaTomb connected through WiFi
Player Hardware: Original Microsoft XBOX chipped with Xecuter3 chip, PopcornHour PCH-A100
Video Connection: XBOX: S-Video, PopcornHour: HDMI
Audio Connection: XBOX and PopcornHour: Audio out connected to stereo receiver input
Bubba Connection: Bubba|Two and Excito B3 (automatic network settings)connected to a DrayTek VIGOR 2130N wireless router
Functionality: Music playback on stereo equipment from WiFi connected B2/B3 running uPnP servers (MediaTomb)
User Interface: XBOX: XBMC PopcornHour: Native UI

(XBOX and PopcornHour are now connected using HomePlug instead of WiFi, for higher throughput)
Last edited by lelle on 22 Dec 2010, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

This might be of help:

Short Name: Music and Video streaming to iPhone
Short Description:How to get music and video content on your iPhone using wi-fi network as much as possible (avoiding twatting around with wired iTunes syncing).
Player Hardware: iPhone, iPod Touch (will update this to include iPad when I get one in the coming weeks).
Player Software:
Music - iPhone app "Simple Daap Client", free. Plays music from the B2 mt-daap service (Firefly). No background playing capabilities yet though. There also seem to be some robust upnp players out there but I couldn't get MediaTomb to work on my B2 the only time I tried.
Video - iPhone app "NetPortal", $2.99. Actually a Samba client but streams video from the B2 very nicely. Also has the option to download files to the phone for offline use. Only supports the same file types supported by the iPod app though, i.e. no .avi or divx playback. Handbrake is a good conversion tool though.
Intermediate Hardware: Wi-fi router if B2 is not wi-fi enabled.
Bubba Hardware: Bubba|2 on a network with wi-fi access (goes without saying).

[UPDATE] I got Mediatomb working and downloaded "Media Link Player Lite", free. Music playing and photo browsing work fine (although no background playing with this app, there might be some paid ones that do that). Video playback is OK but with the same format restrictions as previously mentioned and no way of saving them for offline use. Still, it's another option.
ian

Post by ian »

Short Name: Music playback on Roku Soundbridge & Freecom MusicPal
Short Description: Music playback on Roku Soundbridge & Freecom MusicPal using Bubba and running Firefly (Soundbridge) connected through WiFi and MediaTomb (MusicPal) connected through Ethernet over mains (PowerPlug)
Player Hardware: Roku Soundbridge & Freecom MusicPal
Audio Connection: Soundbridges connected to hifi or PC speaker set, MusicPals have built-in speaker
Bubba Connection: Bubba connected to Linksys wireless router
Functionality: Music playback on stereo equipment
User Interface: Standard UI

Short Name: Video playback on Popcornhour A-110
Short Description: Video playback on Popcornhour A-110 using Bubba; video is not served by a server, but simply played via Samba or NFS connection; A-110 connected to Bubba via ethernet over mains (PowerPlug)
Player Hardware: Popcornhour A-110
Video/Audio Connection: Popcornhour A-110 connected to non-HD TV via Scart
Bubba Connection: Bubba connected to Linksys wireless router
Functionality: Video playback on stereo equipment
User Interface: Standard UI

I have also installed PlugPlayer on my iPod Touch, which can play music served by Mediatomb.

I have one caveat re. using the Bubba (especially the original mk.1 Bubba); Mediatomb appears to be very unstable, and periodically corrupts the library. Our library is large, but not excessively so (+/- 10.000 songs), so I'm not sure what the cause is. It can be solved by logging in via SSH and destroying the library, which is then rebuilt when Mediatomb restarts.
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

Short Name: Audio (MP3 and Internet Radio) via Squeezebox and SliMP3s (squeezeserver on Bubba2)
Short Description: Using SliMP3, Squeezebox2 and Squeezebox3 for audio, PopcornHour for Video, GalleryV3 for photos
Player Hardware: SliMP3, Squeezebox2 and Squeezebox3
Video Connection: PopcornHour C200
Audio Connection: Multiple hifi systems
Bubba Connection: To GbE Netgear GbE switch
Functionality: MP3 and FLAC playback, video playback, viewing photos, file sharing for PCs
User Interface: SliMP3/Squeezebox Player interface,
Last edited by redw0001 on 30 Dec 2010, 09:22, edited 5 times in total.
manib

Post by manib »

Short Name: Video, Audio, Internet Services
Short Description: I have a T60 ThinkPad GNULinux/Windows laptop, Asus Eee 1005HAH GNULinux/Windows Netbook and stationary GNULinux PC connected to my TV and HiFi, via Lynksys WRT54GL and linked to Bubba2 via home network.
For WiFi and general protection, Lynksys WRT54GL (sorry Excito stuff :( ) is way better. (Things may change when/if Bubba2 hit Squeeze)
So, Bubba2 is connected via wired link and serving pretty much all other things.
Player Hardware: Philips PFL6605H TV, LG HB44 HiFi (Network Home Cinema System)
Intermediate Hardware: ThinkPad, Asus, Generic PC, GNULinux/Windows
Bubba Hardware: Bubba|2 WiFi
Video Connection: HDMI
Audio Connection: HDMI
Bubba Connection: Ethernet
Functionality: Plays Bubba video/audio/photo files through TV, video/audio/photo trough anonymous FTP, video/audio/photo trough easy maintaining, selective user, FTP/web services, ...
cbote

Post by cbote »

Short Name: Video, Audio, Photo, Internet Services and download
Short Description: I have three pc boxes (2 win & one mac), and another silently NSLU2 box that only works with flash memory. Add to that 2 samsung C & B generation Led TV connected all with Wifi and PLC modems to increase speed and support for high bandwith (matroska video o ripped bluray movies). All is connected to a belkin adsl router with 4 ports and wifi. A old xbox to play Mame -) and to use his disk for backup.
I can play 150-200 Mbit of bandwith through electrical home network ;-)

Player Hardware: Samsung UB46C8000 and UB40B7020 (Tv)
Intermediate Hardware: Generic PC, MacBook Pro, GNULinux/Windows
Bubba Hardware: Bubba B3 - Wifi
Video Connection:
Audio Connection:
Bubba Connection: Ethernet
Functionality: Bubba act as media server with backup to another disk via RSYNC and FTP against a xbox. Tv's plays using plc network movies,mp3 and photos using DLNA (minidlna) protocol. I have configured "rtorrent" into B3 to download and configuring torrents using console text mode, and screen to wake sessions via SSH instead o FTD.
MagnusJonsson

Post by MagnusJonsson »

Short Name: Video playback on Popcornhour A-110
Short Description: Video playback on Popcornhour A-110 using Bubba. Video is located on Bubba2 and simply played using Samba
Player Hardware: Popcornhour A-110
Video Connection: A-110 connected to Yamaha RX-V861 over HDMI
Bubba Connection: To GbE D-Link switch (office) -> GbE D-Link switch (living room) -> A-110
Functionality: Video playback on stereo equipment
User Interface: Standard UI of A-110

Short Name: Audio playback of MP3 and Internet Radio using Squeezebox and Squeezeserver. Music located on Bubba2.
Short Description: Squeezebox Duet audio connection to a Yamaha RX-V861 playing audio in two zones configuration
Player Hardware: Squeezebox Duet
Audio Connection: Yamaha RX-V861 (optical and analogue (due to two room config))
Bubba Connection: To GbE D-Link switch (office) -> GbE D-Link switch (living room) -> Squeezebox Duet. Wireless connection to Squeezebox controller achived by using Linksys E2000
Functionality: Mostly MP3 playback
User Interface: Squeezebox Controller

Misc: Siemens phone S685 connected to Bubba2 for IP telephony. (Not using Asterix)
aitorpazos

Post by aitorpazos »

Short Name: eGroupware, music and Pulseaudio 5.1 sink
Short Description: I use Bubba3 as a Pulseaudio sink, connecting a Sonundblaster X-Fi USB to it. That way I can still use my 5.1 speakers while moving around with my laptop. I'm trying to use it as an bluetooth headset plugging a USB Bluetooth dongle so I can also listen my phones music through my speakers.
Functionality: Music storage, network accesed speakers and PIM info sync server.