New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Better web email client - roundcube

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
beeversf

Better web email client - roundcube

Post by beeversf »

I am not very happy with the horde mail client as I would prefer a more thick client looking mail front-end. For instance it does not display embedded html emails very well. Looking around I have found the web mail client called roundcube.

I have installed this on the Bubba 2 and it makes the horde client look prehistoric. It only took 40 minutes to install - I do have mysql workbench on my xp box pointing to the bubba mysql which helps and I use the bitvise Tunnelier as the ssh/sftp client which also helps in installing as this has to be manual but the instructions are great.

I would recommend this client - take a look http://www.roundcube.net
Binkem

Re: Better web email client - roundcube

Post by Binkem »

Looks great!

How does it function on the Bubba? IS it fast enough? Or at least faster than the Horde webmail?

How about writing a howto on installing it?
beeversf

Post by beeversf »

It is a lot faster than horde.

Yes I'll see if I can remember how I installed it.
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

I'd be really interested in this. I've had my Bubba2 for a while now and the one thing that lets it down is the webmail - Horde as set up with the Bubba2 is abysmally slow. I have a requirement to check mail remotely nearly every week when I'm away from home so finding a replacement would be great ... also I guess being quicker would use less resources.

robin
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

So, probably bad etiquette responding to my own append however, I decided to start looking at this myself. I'm not sure I'm confident enough to install by hand.... however. Some people seem to be running Lenny rather than Etch. If I've got that right then roundcube is in the Lenny repos. So, another question ... how painful is it to move to Lenny?
I'm happy to do the move but need a bit of guidance - more than happy to do testing and report back
robin
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

If your bubba is fully up to date (version 2.0.4) you are already using Lenny packages and repos.

Can't seem to find roundcube in the repos though.
Last edited by RandomUsername on 07 Aug 2010, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

It looks good but there seems to be a lack of calendar and contact syncing.

At the moment I have my contacts and calendars synced nicely between Horde, Thunderbird and my iPhone. It's worth the inconvenience of using Horde every now an again to maintain that.
beeversf

Post by beeversf »

apologies for not detailing how it installs. All I did was go to http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki and follow the instructions. I put the files in /usr/share/roundcube. The installer is really helpful...

I then modified /etc/apache2/conf.d/horde.conf ( saved a copy first ) and put in
Alias /pim /usr/share/roundcube

restarted bubba ( you could restart apache) and then from the admin menu you press the mail icon and roundcube pops up.

I use roundcube all the time. It is a standalone email system for me with no synchronisation and so works well for me both in the house and when I am at work. So long as you expose the port to allow access.... The reason for moving from MS Outlook was simply the desire to use it from different computers ( I have ubuntu netbook - brilliant in the kitchen ) and the requirement not to host my emails on a remote server such as google as I am paranoid about investigations by such companies.

There is no calender....and no sync of contacts but I use mobile phone with calender from work for that....

Hope this helps. :D

Best regards
beeversf

Post by beeversf »

By the way you can add a plug in (webcalendar) which allows you to use a calendar. There are also other plugins to synchronise contacts...

apologies for the double post....
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

@beeversf, do you have a link to any plugins? My Google skills are failing me.

[EDIT]NVM, I found a full list.

Thanks.
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

I think I have a misunderstanding here (probably several to be totally honest) - hopefully someone can clarify this.

My Bubba is very much as standard install and now on latest level. My wife and I both keep our mail on the Bubba and point Thunderbird at it when at home. We are away alot (say one night a week on average) so have been using a web-browser with Horde when away. Having read the roundcube info it looks straightforward to install and configure but:

1: If I make the changes for roundcube will we see anything different with thunderbird usage? (I think not but want to be sure)
2: If I make the changes will both users move to roundcube?
3: Does Horde use resources if it is left installed and we use roundcube?

This is what I thought I'd read that suggested roundcube is on a Lenny repo....
http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... =roundcube
Probably another misunderstanding on my part.

robin
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Answers:

1. No. IMAP is provided by the package Dovecot. The webmail packages are just another mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook.

2. I suppose if you redirect the /mail URL to point to Roundcube the answer is yes. I don't think there's anything stopping you having both packages installed and available on different URLs if you want to.

3. I don't think so, only disk space.

It's only in the repos for later versions of Debian or Lenny backports from what I can tell. Bubba uses the repos for Etch which is the version before Lenny.
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

Thank you for your help all. It is a rainy Saturday morning here and I've just found a good use for it. I have installed roundcube successfully. I haven't broken my Bubba2. Roundcube is working and it certainly is faster than Horde in my initial testing just using it from firefox on my desktop PC. I also tried it from safari on my Ipod Touch and that seems better as well. Will try it remotely over internet on Friday and update this with the results.

My problems in installing were all of my own making - but the error log gave me enough clues to fix them.

robin
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I just installed Roundcube. It works like a dream and installing was very easy. Thanks all.

Martijn
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Just got round to installing this myself. Not only is it faster, it really shows up how fugly Horde is.

By the way, there are some great plugins out ther- enough to fill all the features of Horde so I'd put my vote towards this being made the default pim in future Bubba builds.