New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Running Debian lenny or squeeze on Bubba Two

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
ryz

Re: Running Debian lenny or squeeze on Bubba Two

Post by ryz »

According to my own internal howto i did write when I installed the ocf-Linux, which is a way to use use the hardware crypt acceleration on Bubba 2, you should only need to copy the uImage to the boot directory. You should not have to mess with the uboot-envtools. Make sure to take a backup of the original and also make sure that you do have an working rescue stick so that you can boot in rescue mode and revert to the old uImage if something should go wrong.

The reason why I never published the howto is because I did not get any performance boost at all for the crypto so it was just a lot of work for no gain.

Sorry for the very short previuos post but I did not have time to write a longer one then but I thought I should at least tell you that using the bzImage is the wrong thing to do.
carl

Post by carl »

As you might know, I'm in the process of creating an installer now for B2 based on squeeze.
At the moment I've finished creating an minimal installer, which contains onle the essential for running the hardware and network access. This image can be accessed at http://update.excito.net/install/bubba- ... 3-minimal/

There are no security setups present on this image, so after install, you can SSH as root to either WAN or LAN port.

Hopefully I will be able to deliver an full image soon to you.
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
carl

Post by carl »

I've decided to release an beta of the Bubba|2 squeeze installer. It's not fully tested, and there are still some "B3" words in some texts.
The kernel is still the same as the older B2 releases as well.

The installer can be found at http://update.excito.net/install/bubba- ... l-2.3C.zip
support@excito.com
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Great. I will try it out in a couple of days (on holiday atm).
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Installer works OK but that's as far as I've got for the moment.
carl

Post by carl »

I've made an new image, found at http://update.excito.net/install/bubba- ... l-2.3D.zip
The update from the previous image isn't much; The reason for an new image is because I really want you to test the new kernel that I've squeezed in (2.6.39.4).
Due to the reality that we are using the same repo as for B3, and that I've built it from the unstable repo, a new version of squeezeboxserver is included, which we are at the moment testing for release for B3, might or might not work :)
support@excito.com
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Hi Carl,

I've installed the new image and had a play around and so far, everything seems great. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do with my B2 to really test it due to my B3 being used for everything. Hopefully, someone who is using their B2 as their sole server might be able to test it some more. I will keep fiddling though.

Darren.

[EDIT]Actually, there was this strange error after installing and running a web-based upgrade:
B2 Firewall error.png
B2 Firewall error.png (174.76 KiB) Viewed 28555 times
Also, what is /home/ftp for? I don't think I've ever seen that directory in a default install before. I see proftp.conf has been modified so ftp users land in their home directory rather than /home so this /home/ftp for anon users?
carl

Post by carl »

RandomUsername wrote:Hi Carl,

I've installed the new image and had a play around and so far, everything seems great. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do with my B2 to really test it due to my B3 being used for everything. Hopefully, someone who is using their B2 as their sole server might be able to test it some more. I will keep fiddling though.

Darren.

[EDIT]Actually, there was this strange error after installing and running a web-based upgrade:
B2 Firewall error.png
Also, what is /home/ftp for? I don't think I've ever seen that directory in a default install before. I see proftp.conf has been modified so ftp users land in their home directory rather than /home so this /home/ftp for anon users?
I've had some issues rebuilding out proftpd package towards powerpc, thus what you experience the the upstream debian proftpd installation. Sorry for that :)
support@excito.com
wonko

Post by wonko »

Great work on the update! I was just about to scrap my B2 because there were so many things I couldn't get working with the outdated software (my printer being the most important issue) when I found the 2.3D update. After installing the update (using the guide in the B2 user manual from the excito website) I couldn't connect to the internet. But after doing a software update and getting the same error-message as Darren ("Running firewall and saved configuration file is determined to be corrupt. Default firewall has been restored") everything seems to be working great :)
Thanks for a great product!
chris_noel

Post by chris_noel »

So I have the bubba2 2.3D image and am keen to put it to work. Is there any way to do this without destroying my data partition? It's my main storage and home and I don't have anything big enough to back all of it's contents up to.

Thanks heaps and cheers for continuing to support B2 :-)
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

There's an option in the installer config file that lets you preserve the /home volume. Just stick the USB key in a PC and you should be able to find it.
einar

Post by einar »

I noticed there's an E version along with the D version. What's the difference?
carl

Post by carl »

einar wrote:I noticed there's an E version along with the D version. What's the difference?
There are no major differences. There are some known bugs that will be fixed soon.
support@excito.com
einar

Post by einar »

As I plan to upgrade this weekend, what kind of bugs are those? Just considering if I need to put off the upgrade or live with them depending on their severity.
johannes

Post by johannes »

known issues with RCE:
- presents as B3 in web reader head
- dhcp server presents as b3 (to router dhcp logs)
- PHP error in startup wizard (can safely be ignored, but ugly)
- serious: backup UI seems to miss CSS, unusable
- serious: clicking disk->raid gives 500-internal server error. Raid is seemingly unusable
- translations and text missing on some places

Most of those are easy fixes and we are aiming to release a RCF (hopefully final RC) this or next week, with the above serious bugs fixed.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)