New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Soundbridge replacement

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
DanielM

Soundbridge replacement

Post by DanielM »

Hi all.
Today my beloved old Soundbridge M1001 died. Completely and totally dead. Luckily enough I had a spare one in the closet. Unluckily enough that one was dead too. After some reading up it seems I'm not alone, it seems Soundbridges have very low quality components. So I guess it's not much point in trying to repair them.

Anyway, this brings me to the real question here: What should I buy instead? By a quick look the logical path to go would be a Squeezebox Touch, right? Any good feedback about how Squeezeboxes behave? What I primarily want to do is to listen so music that I've got stored on my B3. What I read though is that the Squeezebox line has been completely abandoned by Logitech. I don't know if it will be a problem with a device that don't get any firmware updates etc?

What are the alternatives? I've heard good things about Sonos, but it seems to be an expensive path to go.

Darn. I really loved my Soundbridge. Why oh why did you have to die?

/Daniel
Puma

Re: Soundbridge replacement

Post by Puma »

Hello Daniel,

I own a DUNE hdi MAX and this works perfectly for music (good DA converter!).
Advantage you can use it as video media player and music player.
DLNA works. Use is with or without HDD.

did you check your power supply? strange that both of them died....

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

The problem I have with most media players is that you need to turn on your TV in order to listen to music. That's why I like the Squeezebox series. The touch seems a bit too much for me, I use my smartphone, tablet and computer to control my receiver and radio. No need to touch the machine at all. I'd buy another receiver if I could find one (for a good price) though. I had a quick look at what's available outside of the squeezebox range, but most are a lot more expensive that the Logitech products.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Puma wrote:I own a DUNE hdi MAX and this works perfectly for music (good DA converter!).
Advantage you can use it as video media player and music player.
DLNA works. Use is with or without HDD.
Looked at it, but I think it's a bit too big and also a tad more expensive than the Squeezeboxes.
Puma wrote:did you check your power supply? strange that both of them died....
Yep. Tried all possible combinations of Soundbridges and power supplies. Also checked the supplies with voltmeter and they are fine. I guess the one that I haven't used in years has been in a too cold environment, I had the box in the car port for a while :(

/Daniel
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Binkem wrote:The problem I have with most media players is that you need to turn on your TV in order to listen to music. That's why I like the Squeezebox series. The touch seems a bit too much for me, I use my smartphone, tablet and computer to control my receiver and radio. No need to touch the machine at all. I'd buy another receiver if I could find one (for a good price) though. I had a quick look at what's available outside of the squeezebox range, but most are a lot more expensive that the Logitech products.
Exactly! I want something by the stereo in my book shelf, I've got no tv there.

I'm now investigating the possibility (doesn't seem unlikely) to find a cheap Squeezebox Classic on eBay. From what I see it has everything I need. The only thing I need really is built in wifi and a toslink connector :-)

/Daniel
Harry

Post by Harry »

I don't know if a Logitech Squeezebox Duet would do it for You?
But You can get them store-bought at a very reasonable price nowadays (in Sweden that is).

/Harry.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Harry wrote:I don't know if a Logitech Squeezebox Duet would do it for You?
But You can get them store-bought at a very reasonable price nowadays (in Sweden that is).
It probably would. I just don't really like the looks of that remote, it looks very clumsy. But maybe that's not the case in real life?

Anyway, just today komplett.se lowered their price for Squeezebox Duet with over 50% (to 999 SEK), so I'll give that a serious thought...

/Daniel

edit: Or maybe not. "Denna produkt finns inte längre i vårt sortiment." (or in english: "This product is no longer in our catalog."). I guess they just wanted to get rid of the last handful of units...
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

You can skip the remote. Only the receiver is useful if you've got a smartphone or tablet.