New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 and Owncloud

How are you using your Bubba Two or Excito B3? Got pictures? Share here!
redw0001

B3 and Owncloud

Post by redw0001 »

After the embarrassment of my post last week (where I thought I'd got a failed B3 but it was a GbE port on my switch) I decided to share this weekend's good news.

I had Owncloud running on the B3 for a while (see my earlier posts) but it didn't really achieve much and consequently due to lack of time and interest fell into an unusable state. Early this year I had a shot at upgrading to Owncloud 6 and that was a miserable failure.

This weekend I had some time to spare so decided to have a shot at Owncloud 7. This seemed altogether easier install according to the documentation I found. So, added the repo and issued a few commands waited a little while and then pointed the browser at the web address of the b3 and the tailoring wizard appeared. This ran cleanly and I had a user up all pretty quick. I guess no more than an hour. All jolly good!

Now, the reason for my interest is I'd had a shared (for the whole of the family) calendar on my original Owncloud that worked quite well and I wanted to get that going again plus share contact lists. In the meantime I'd got an iphone and ipad so I also wanted have a single calendar and contact list across both. What I noticed yesterday (Sunday) was that there seemed to be all sorts of problems with this. However, persevering I now have achieved my initial goal.

1: single calendar accessible from owncloud (via web browser), iphone and ipad (both running IOS7).
2: single contact list accessible from owncloud (via web browser), iphone and ipad.

I managed to merge the contacts from all three devices and did a tidy up today. One additional tool acquired from the app store (Orbi tools) that allows copying contacts between address books at a cost of £0.69p - well invested, it did the merging of all the contacts in seconds.

The next jobs - to integrate address books off my imac, linux (my wife's PC) and her ipad. This hopefully will mean we both have one view of our diary and contacts. Then on to managing our music, photos and common files directorys as external storage (actually just subdirectorys in /home/storage/ on the B3.

Then ... owncloud on the Bubba2 to allow copying for backup (or maybe not just yet).
redw0001

Re: B3 and Owncloud

Post by redw0001 »

My address books merged successfully, now have a common address book and calendar across iMac, iPhone, IPad all hosted on Owncloud 7 and my B3.
redw0001

Post by redw0001 »

Despite calendar and contacts now sharing well between between iPad, iPhone, OSX and being hosted on owncloud on my B3 I'm getting some error messages from logs. I know there are a few owncloud users on B3 so before I ask on the Owncloud forum has anyone seen these messages, or can explain them please?

Of most interest are the 401s because as far as I know everything seems to work fine, I just don't like error messages hanging around unexplained.

Requests with error response codes
400 Bad Request
/: 3 Time(s)
/owncloud/: 2 Time(s)
/owncloud/index.php/core/ajax/translations.php: 2 Time(s)
401 Unauthorized
/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/robin/: 28 Time(s)
/owncloud/remote.php/carddav/principals/robin/: 15 Time(s)
/owncloud/remote.php/carddav/addressbooks/robin/contacts/: 14 Time(s)
/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/principals/robin/: 8 Time(s)
/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/principals/: 7 Time(s)
/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/calendars/robi ... ED6E603B5A5.ics: 3 Time(s)
/owncloud/remote.php/carddav/addressbooks/robin/: 1 Time(s)
/owncloud/remote.php/webdav/: 1 Time(s)
403 Forbidden
/owncloud/data/htaccesstest.txt: 1 Time(s)
404 Not Found
/owncloud/remote.php/caldav/principals/contact_birthdays/: 23 Time(s)
/favicon.ico: 2 Time(s)
/owncloud/index.php/apps/gallery/ajax/thum ... is.jpg&square=1: 1 Time(s)
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

They are permission issues on the b3 itself
redw0001

Re: B3 and Owncloud (Dec14 update)

Post by redw0001 »

Not had much time to do anything over the last couple of months until this weekend. Here is my latest status.

1: Calendar working great, shared between OSX Yosemite(2 users), iPhone, two iPads.
2: Contacts working great, shared between OSX Yosemite(2 users), iPhone, two iPads.
3: Upgraded Owncloud from 7.0.1 to 7.0.3 using Debian repo.
4: Owncloud app installed on Yosemite, iphone and one iPad. Only really using it on Yosemite, seems very responsive. This seems to have introduced an icon at the top of my screen, clicking on this gets into finder and traversing Owncloud and storage defined as external to Owncloud seems very quick.
5: Made a change as recommended on internet to help performance - changed localhost to 127.0.0.1 in config.php. On internet this was a recommendation for Windows systems - decided to give it a shot anyway.

I'm happy with what I've done so far however if anyone has any recommendations for further impoving performance please let me know.