New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

New version of BubbaMon, the firefox extension

The wonderful Firefox plugin for Excito's products
6feet5

New version of BubbaMon, the firefox extension

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi all,

A new year has begun and I'm happy to announce a new release of BubbaMon, my firefox extension.

Changes:
  • Options dialog completely rewritten.
  • Added a button to test connectivity to host (it will tell you what kind of server was found, if any)
  • Added a test button to verify HDDtemp settings (only needed by BUBBA|server owners)
  • Added a test button to verify intermediate settings. This will try and save a file in the selected directory and then try to download it from the local server and finally delete the torrent file.
  • Added user control over what information is shown in progressbars. You can now format your own string, using 'place holders' for download information. Valid place holders are:
    {name} - File name
    {size} - Size of file being downloaded
    {down} - Download transfer rate
    {up} - Upload transfer rate
    {downloaded} - Total amount downloaded
    {uploaded} - Total amount uploaded
    {ratio} - Share ratio (uploaded/downloaded)
    The drop-down in options window contain a couple of samples.
  • Added the ability to show different information in progressbar depending on status of download (ongoing or completed), eg. showing download speed and file size while file is being downloaded and then switch to showing upload speed and share ratio when download is completed.
  • Full title of download is shown as tool-tip when mouse hovers over title.
  • Status window now includes the (BUBBA) firmware version.
  • I've tried to make CSS rules more resistant to differences in FF skin (see note below).
  • Fixed namespace pollution.
  • Fixed other minor bugs
Known problems:
Some private trackers only allow a subset of torrent client and sometimes FTD isn't one of them. The intermediate mode will not help in this case.

The ratio will be incorrect if FileTransferDaemon is restarted (the upload information is session based and will start from 0 again when restarted).

That's about it. You will find the file at: http://thevoid.webhop.info/bubba/firefox/.

Don't hesitate to mail me if you're having any problems with BubbaMon. Enjoy!

/Johan
Binkem

Re: New version of BubbaMon, the firefox extension

Post by Binkem »

Great work! Thanks a lot :)
jonte

Post by jonte »

Brilliant! Love the remake!

//Jonte
lelle

Post by lelle »

Thanks Johan, good job as usual :D
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Thanks for this extension. I've been using it for as long as I've had my B2.

I have a small feature request and that's to somehow move Bubbamon out of the status bar (which I generally have disabled) and put it in the tool bar.

I don't think there are any extensions that allow you to do this but if anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Thanks.
Puma

Post by Puma »

Thank you Johan for this wonderful tool.

Is it possible to see the temperature for the raid disk in the bubba storage as well?

It would be nice to see the raid status and external connected USB or ESATA drives (volume info etc)

Thanks

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
fecker

Post by fecker »

Thanks for Bubbamon, I've been using for a while and love it . . . . but . . . I upgraded to Firefox 3.6 today and Bubbamon 0.9 is flagged as incompatible . . .is there a way around this?
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

@fecker,

Follow the instructions here:

http://jkontherun.com/2008/06/05/how-to-force-fi/

Might be best to make a backup of your Firefox profile before proceeding though (just in case).
fecker

Post by fecker »

Thanks for the pointer RandomUsername and all is working now.

However for Firefox 3.6 a slightly different method is needed, see: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6697/how ... refox-3.6/
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

@fecker:
I've read the release notes and there should be no problems forcing firefox to run the plugin (if there is, please let me know). I will bump the FF-version as soon as I've had time to verify the functionality.

@puma:
This is on my wish list as well. Actually, BubbaMon already support several drives, the problem is the scripts on the bubba, which is currently hard coded. I will probably need some help from Excito on this one.

@RandomUsername
Toolbar...hmm... I will consider your request but don't hold your breath ;-). I don't use the tool bar myself, but I do have have a status bar (I guess you know where this is going :-)). Actually, the tool bar isn't really suited for this kind of function (after all, this is status we're talking about and so it should reside in the status bar). Let me put it this way, if I find an easy solution then I'll do it. (If this is a space issue, you should consider 'vimperator', an excellent FF-plugin (it helps being a VIM self-tormentor to start with, like me ;-))

/Johan
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

I've updated my extension so it now support the new Firefox 3.6.

The only change (apart from 3.6 support) is the popup/hint shown when hoovering the mouse pointer over a download progress bar will now also show file size and transfer speed, not just the file name (note that the information isn't updated, it will show the values that was current when popup was created).

Don't hesitate to contact me if something isn't working as expected.

Download it from http://thevoid.webhop.info/bubba/firefox/

/Johan
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Thank you Johan.
RandomUsername

BubbaMon Bug Report

Post by RandomUsername »

Hi Johan,

I couldn't see anywhere specific on your site to file bugs so I thought I'd post here.

There appears to be a conflict between BubbaMon and another Firefox extension called Fission. Fission turns the FF location bar into a progress bar. When a page is loading a coloured bar fills the location bar and it goes back to white when the page is loaded.

At home on my Ubuntu boxes everything works fine.

However, on my work PC the progress/location bar fills up but doesn't always switch back to white when the page has finished loading (as if it hasn't quite finished loading, but it has). This doesn't happen all the time but I'm pretty sure it's connected to BubbaMon by disabling every extension in turn.

The two main differences between this PC and the one at home are that it's a Windows XP box and the Bubba isn't local to this PC. This is what I suspect is causing this to happen: BubbaMon has to connect to my B2 via the corporate LAN, proxies and then the Internet so I suspect it's not connecting as quickly as it would like.

Does BubbaMon log anything anywhere that would help me troubleshoot this small but irritating problem?

Thanks.

Darren.
6feet5

Re: BubbaMon Bug Report

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi

I can't see how BubbaMon could affect Fission, but I must admit I haven't thought about anyone trying to run BubbaMon over the internet.

You said you disabled every extension in turn, does this mean you ran Fission with no other extension running and the problem went away, only when BubbaMon is the extra active extension does this happen?

Have you tried increasing the interval (what interval are you using now)? The default five seconds might be a bit too short when connecting over internet. If no data arrive within the interval time, the connection to your bubba is terminated and then restarted, but as I said before, I can't see how this could affect Fission.

Is it in any way connected to a specific site? Can you reproduce this behaviour?

I tried installing Fission both in Linux and Windows (in VirtualBox) but can't reproduce this. This is on my internal network though. I have no way of testing it from work, and I'm probably too paranoid to try anyway :-)

Logging is unfortunately not possible.

/Johan
RandomUsername

Re: BubbaMon Bug Report

Post by RandomUsername »

I can't see how BubbaMon could affect Fission, but I must admit I haven't thought about anyone trying to run BubbaMon over the internet.
Oh, I didn't realise it wasn't designed for that :oops: It seems like an obvious use - It works great for when I find a file I want to download when at work and I don't want my web usage to look too excessive in the logs. :)
You said you disabled every extension in turn, does this mean you ran Fission with no other extension running and the problem went away, only when BubbaMon is the extra active extension does this happen?
Correct. I disabled all extensions except Fission and then re-enabled every one in turn. It only started happening again when I enabled BubbaMon. However, as the issue is a bit intermittent I am not 100% confident it's BubbaMon but it makes the most sense to me.
Have you tried increasing the interval (what interval are you using now)? The default five seconds might be a bit too short when connecting over internet. If no data arrive within the interval time, the connection to your bubba is terminated and then restarted, but as I said before, I can't see how this could affect Fission.
Tried that, didn't work.
Is it in any way connected to a specific site? Can you reproduce this behaviour?
It happens as soon as I open Firefox (currently my home page is set to BBC News. Next time I'm at work I'll try it with a different home page). If it happens, it happens for all sites. Sometimes it corrects itself after a while.

I'm not at work for a few days now but I'll try some more trouble shooting when I get a few minutes.

Thanks.

Darren.