New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Release notes for Excito Bubba 2&3 software version 2.6.0.1

Announcements of all software releases for Excito products
johannes

Release notes for Excito Bubba 2&3 software version 2.6.0.1

Post by johannes »

This is a new update. The upgrade is available only as a web update.

How to upgrade
To upgrade a running system, make sure you don't have any activities running such as uploads, downloads, print jobs etc. Then log in as admin in web-ui. Choose "Settings" menu entry. Choose "Software update" in the sub menu.

Fixed issues
* Supposedly fixes a security vulnerability (discussed here: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4633)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
mike_nl

Re: Release notes for Excito Bubba 2&3 software version 2.6.

Post by mike_nl »

Hi Johannes,

at first a big Thank You for the update. I have seen it right now and i am busy with updating.
Update system is running and i can hear the hard disk is shuffeling ;-). It is a SATA-2
with rotating parts, ha, ha.

Will report when i find things...Thanbk You again.
jomcty

Post by jomcty »

Greetings,

This morning, after 394 days of uptime, my B2 hung for some reason and I had to restart. Upon restart, I attempted to perform an upgrade via the administation page, but it failed with a dpkg error. So, off to the command line we go...

From the command-line I ran "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" and kicked off the process. Well, it failed while attempting to upgrade the bubba-album database, something I've never used on my B2. I triedan empty password, the default system password to no avail. I then stopped and tried again; this time it appears to have gotten past the bubba-album problem, at least for the moment.

Now, the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" fails while trying to update tor.

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  tor-geoipdb
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Setting up tor (0.2.2.39-1) ...
Raising maximum number of filedescriptors (ulimit -n) to 8192.
Starting tor daemon: tor...
Dec 14 12:17:48.533 [notice] Tor v0.2.2.39 (git-2f7e71c2e896772f). This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anony
mity. (Running on Linux ppc)
Dec 14 12:17:48.560 [notice] Initialized libevent version 1.4.13-stable using method epoll. Good.
Dec 14 12:17:48.562 [notice] Opening OR listener on 0.0.0.0:9001
Dec 14 12:17:48.570 [warn] Permissions on directory /var/run/tor are too permissive.
Dec 14 12:17:48.572 [warn] Before Tor can create a control socket in "/var/run/tor/control", the directory "/var/run/tor" needs to exist, and to be accessible only by the user account that is running Tor.  (On some Unix systems, anybody who can list a socket can connect to it, so Tor is being careful.)
Dec 14 12:17:48.575 [notice] Closing partially-constructed listener OR listener on 0.0.0.0:9001
Dec 14 12:17:48.578 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
Dec 14 12:17:48.579 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.
invoke-rc.d: initscript tor, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing tor (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bubba-backend:
 bubba-backend depends on tor (>= 0.2.2.39); however:
  Package tor is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing bubba-backend (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
configured to not write apport reports configured to not write apport reports
Errors were encountered while processing:
 tor
 bubba-backend
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Building dependency tree
  tor-geoipdb
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Dec 14 12:17:48.533 [notice] Tor v0.2.2.39 (git-2f7e71c2e896772f). This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anony
Dec 14 12:17:48.560 [notice] Initialized libevent version 1.4.13-stable using method epoll. Good.
Dec 14 12:17:48.570 [warn] Permissions on directory /var/run/tor are too permissive.
Dec 14 12:17:48.572 [warn] Before Tor can create a control socket in "/var/run/tor/control", the directory "/var/run/tor" needs to exist, and to be accessible only by the user account that is running Tor.  (On some Unix systems, anybody who can list a socket can connect to it, so Tor is being careful.)
Dec 14 12:17:48.575 [notice] Closing partially-constructed listener OR listener on 0.0.0.0:9001
Dec 14 12:17:48.578 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
configured to not write apport reports
 tor
 bubba-backend
The directory /var/run/tor exists, "drwxr-s--- 2 debian-tor debian-tor 4096 Dec 14 12:16 tor", despite the warning.

Any ideas on how to get over this hurdle? I basically us the B2 as a SAMBA and NFS server, so I haven't altered/used any of the other features.
jomcty

Post by jomcty »

Greetings,

This morning, after 394 days of uptime, my B2 hung for some reason and I had to restart. Upon restart, I attempted to perform an upgrade via the administation page, but it failed with a dpkg error. So, off to the command line we go...

From the command-line I ran "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" and kicked off the process. Well, it failed while attempting to upgrade the bubba-album database, something I've never used on my B2. I triedan empty password, the default system password to no avail. I then stopped and tried again; this time it appears to have gotten past the bubba-album problem, at least for the moment.

Now, the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" fails while trying to update tor.

Code: Select all

Building dependency tree
  tor-geoipdb
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
configured to not write apport reports configured to not write apport reports
 tor
 bubba-backend
Building dependency tree
  tor-geoipdb
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
 tor
 bubba-backend
The directory /var/run/tor exists, "drwxr-s--- 2 debian-tor debian-tor 4096 Dec 14 12:16 tor", despite the warning.

Any ideas on how to get over this hurdle? I basically use the B2 as a SAMBA and NFS server, so I haven't altered/used any of the other features.

Thanks in advance!
odoepner

Post by odoepner »

Hello,

Given Excito's recent focus shift away from Bubba and given that security issues like the one addressed in this thread can /will come up again, wouldn't it be the right thing to release _all_ of Excito's deb packages as Open Source and give the Bubba / Debian community a chance to gradually adopt the maintenance of the awesome Bubba software?

In the long run and with the right gradual hand-over approach you might even find official Debian maintainers adopting your packages and make them part of the Debian distribution itself.

I for one would help make this happen. I am a long-term Debian user, proud owner of a Bubba/2 running wheezy, used as file and print server, sharing family photos with my family across the globe via bubba-album package, etc.

Thanks
Oliver Doepner
johannes

Post by johannes »

You are absolutely right. Have a look here: https://github.com/Excito/
odoepner

Post by odoepner »

Thanks for the github link, Johannes.

Good to know the code bases are already on a good structured repo service like github.

But many of these repositories are private.

I am mainly wondering whether you have an "exit strategy" for when you will no longer support the bubba packages and patches.

For example, have you tried to contact the Debian / Bubba open Source community to gradually find maintainers before these packages are open sourced (yay) or abandoned (nay)?

Or are you still trying to find a business that will take over / buy the software and continue development and/or support?

Thanks
Oliver
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi Oliver,

Hmm, which do you see that are private? All bubba-related repos should be public. Furthermore, all code is GPL, except some details (graphical parts of bubba-frontend) that are (c) Excito. Licences are stated for each package in /debian/copyright.

If anyone need any more information about this and would like to take a stab on it, just contact me through PM.
odoepner

Post by odoepner »

Hm, strange. I could swear I saw a bunch of the repos listed as "private" last time I checked.
Maybe I was confused.

Anyhow, that's great then!

Could you also speak to my question about working with the Debian project to find maintainers for these packages?

Thanks
Oliver
johannes

Post by johannes »

I'll PM you.
odoepner

Post by odoepner »

One correction to a previous post of mine: I am not running Debian wheezy on my bubba/2. I must have been still so euphoric about having upgraded to squeeze a while ago that I got the Debian release version names mixed up for a moment.

However, I would love to upgrade to wheezy. I will send a separate forum post about that.