New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

New firmware update 0.51.1

Announcements of all software releases for Excito products
tor

New firmware update 0.51.1

Post by tor »

Release notes for Bubba 0.51.1
=========================

Lets start by apologizing for the late release. As most of you we have had some problems with our download manager and that have stalled much of our other development efforts.

That said, the major feature of this release is of course an updetd download manager. Not a lot is visible on the surface but the torrent part is completely rewritten. This has some positives and some negatives. The positive side is better stability and a few new features. The negative is that the new torrent downloader uses a little more resources and still has some rough edges where the major issue is that any download storage is preallocated before download starts.

Apart from the torrent update the other parts is mostly minor bug fixes and some polish in some places.

How to upgrade
-------------------
Make sure you don't have any activities running such as uploads, downloads, print jobs etc. Then log in as admin in web-ui. Chose "settings" menu entry. Select the tab named "Maintenance", the tabs are only present in newer versions of the firmware. On this tab, or the settings page if you have the old version of the web-admin ui, press the "Update" button located in the "Update software" field. After a while it should say "done" and the upgrade should be complete. In rare ocations, the web-ui can hang when doing an upgrade. In these cases the easiest solution is to use the shutdown/power button to restart the unit.

Warning, if you have modified your apt sources the web-admin ui should not be used for upgrades.

Major changes and new features
-------------------------------------
* Completely new torrent download functionality.
- PEX support
- Metadata exchange support
- Disabled DHT support (Due to excessive resource usage this feature is disabled by default for now).
- Fast resume, if the torrent downloader is shut down properly state is preserved and a restart is almost immediate.
- Better user feedback. The UI is more verbose on what its up to. Downloading, seeding etc.
- Torrent proxy support, its possible to specify proxy settings in the config files. (Hopefully we can expand the other parts of the Download manager to use this in later releases.)
- Better logging, application is more verbose when writing to logfiles.

Updates and minor changes
--------------------------------
* Downloads are sorted after dowload percentage.
* DBUS package rebuilt to fix some permissions problem.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Yep, things do seem more snappy now.
But why does the download manager no longer show upload and download speeds???? That used to be rather handy.

Also the positioning of the download window outside the visible screen is really annoying. Is there a reason for this (tested on opera9 and MSIE5)??

Ubi
Clive

Post by Clive »

I've not upgraded yet, but the 'upload/download' speeds are pretty vital for me to help predict slow torrents, when they will be complete etc (also if the torrent has crashed)

I've not had too many problems with the current ftd recently, about once a month I need to login and restart it. I would prefer to keep on doing this then losing my up/download speeds.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Clive, Ubi and others,

I can confirm the rendering problem in Opera and MSIE. There should of course be both up and download speed on torrents. And the information is there, only not shown in Opera and IE. Apparently we have not tested enough in these browsers and can only apologize. (We do our development with Firefox) We will investigate this further.

Regarding speed. The difference should not be that big. A qualified guess is that the new torrent downloader has a speed limit somewhere about 100KB/S less than the old. A bit depending on what other processes are running.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

The latest update 0.51.2, http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=824, should fix the rendering problems in this release.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer