New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

External harddrive

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Goran

External harddrive

Post by Goran »

Im thinking of getting this server, but I got a harddisk with RAID and would like to use it with this Bubba server. If Im looking at the specifications for the server is says:

USB 2.0 type A to Printer or memory stick connection
USB 2.0 type B to PC

I've got USB 2.0 at my harddrive, but can I use it just like a shared harddrive? Will I have the possiblity to work with it through the web interface for Bubba?

Best regards, Goran
pa

Post by pa »

Hi,

Regarding the use of external harddrives, yes it is possible, but not really recommended.
The reason for this is that even if the USB is 2.0 complient it is only USB "full speed" which is 12Mbit/s and therefor too slow to actually be running a disk on with any reasonable performance.

/PA
juddha

Post by juddha »

I'm also in need of some kind of raid-solution.
In the future, is it doable to support eSATA?
pa

Post by pa »

It wil not be supported by the current bubba, but we have other products in the development stage, and we will of course see if this is a feature that can be added.

/PA
lkbrow1

USB speed

Post by lkbrow1 »

You posted that USB speed is 12 Mb/s that is true for USB 1.1 but USB is 480Mb/s per the last documentation that I read.
lkbrow1

USB speed again

Post by lkbrow1 »

USB 1.1 is 12 Mb/s
USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s
johannes

Post by johannes »

There's actually more to it, it's a common misunderstanding that USB 2.0 automatically means 480 Mbps. USB 2.0 specifies and allows all three USB speeds:

Low speed: 1.5 Mbps
Full speed: 12 Mbps
High speed: 480 Mbps

Bubba supports USB 2.0 Full speed, it doesn't support high speed due to hardware limitations.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)