New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

FTP, SSH and SMB access

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
ian

FTP, SSH and SMB access

Post by ian »

I have a Nokia E90 smartphone, and have a paid for SMB program (SymSMB) and freeware FTP and SSH programs. Using all 3 programs I am able to access the bubba from inside my home; SymSMB even supports streaming music via SMB, turning my phone into a streaming media player, which is really neat.

However, I am not able to access my bubba from outside my house with any of the programs, and am at a bit of a loss. The SMB program just says "host unreachable", so it may be a problem with the program itself. But the SSH program (putty for S60) fails completely, and the FTP problem is even more peculiar. If I try to connect, it appears to succeed, as it changes to my FTP folder, but then it gets stuck "retrieving directory". This semi-success would imply that port 21 is visible from the outside and that the bubba is responding in some way, but I can't work out what to do next.

I have managed to FTP from outside the home in the past, but have installed a new router and updated my phone's firmware in the meantime, so something may have changed. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
carl

Re: FTP, SSH and SMB access

Post by carl »

ian wrote:I have a Nokia E90 smartphone, and have a paid for SMB program (SymSMB) and freeware FTP and SSH programs. Using all 3 programs I am able to access the bubba from inside my home; SymSMB even supports streaming music via SMB, turning my phone into a streaming media player, which is really neat.

However, I am not able to access my bubba from outside my house with any of the programs, and am at a bit of a loss. The SMB program just says "host unreachable", so it may be a problem with the program itself. But the SSH program (putty for S60) fails completely, and the FTP problem is even more peculiar. If I try to connect, it appears to succeed, as it changes to my FTP folder, but then it gets stuck "retrieving directory". This semi-success would imply that port 21 is visible from the outside and that the bubba is responding in some way, but I can't work out what to do next.

I have managed to FTP from outside the home in the past, but have installed a new router and updated my phone's firmware in the meantime, so something may have changed. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
I would first check that the router is forwarding all the relevant ports to the bubba.

/Carl
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
ian

Post by ian »

I have set up port redirection for ports 21 (ftp), 22 (ssh), 80 (http), 25 (smtp), 143 (imap) and 137-139 (samba). Email works fine, and I have no problems accessing my bubba via http, but FTP, SSH and SMB don't work properly; it's very odd.

The fact that I get a partial response when FTPing would imply that port 21 is open; I have tried one of these internet port scanners, and port 21 is always registered as being open.

I have a Draytek Vigor 2910 wifi router, in case that helps at all...
ian

Post by ian »

After I discovered that I can print from my mobile phone to our networked HP deskjet printer via the Internet, I became convinced that my problems with accessing the bubba from outside the home were not caused by my router.

I've now got FTP working (by changing an undocumented option in my phone's FTP client) and SSH (by correcting a typo in one of the settings), but I cannot get access via Samba using my phone's Samba client. The documentation implies that it should be possible, but I can not get it to work.

Even though I have opened ports 137-139 in my router, when I scan using an Internet-based port scanner, these 3 ports are all shown as "not responding". Has anyone successfully accessed a bubba share via the Internet? Is this simply something that will not work for some reason, or am I missing something?