New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Firefly Server disappearing

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Festa

Firefly Server disappearing

Post by Festa »

My Firefly server seems to have developed a problem, in that it keeps disappearing from the wider network.

When I start Firefly (mt-daapd) it is visible to Roku Soundbridges and iTunes. I can browse databases and play music. JBonjourBrowser also shows the rsp and daap streams as being available.

After 2-3 minutes the server disappears.

The web browser is still available, and the log files indicate that the service is still running.

avahi-browse -a shows that the rsp and daap streams are still being broadcast from bubba, but they are not visible outside of bubba to the Rokus, iTunes, or Bonjour Browser.

Any ideas what might be causing this and what I can do to resolve?

Many thanks

Festa
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Festa,

Is it correct that this used to work but suddenly stopped?

Has anything changed in your lan or on your Bubba? It seems like something is blocking the multicast used by Bonjour/mDNS.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Festa

Re: Firefly Server disappearing

Post by Festa »

Tor,

Thanks for getting back - I had checked my router, still was enabling multicast.

I had been messing about with installing some programs, and not noting down what I was doing propoerly to enable me to backtrack.

Anyway, I have now reinstalled the image file, and everything is working perfectly again.

Regards

Festa
wanderer

Re: Firefly Server disappearing

Post by wanderer »

Is there a wiki or support FAQ (not the general FAQ) to put tips for users? The Bubba 1 manual has the bare basics but general troubleshooting tips and a summary of known problems would be useful as an extra, especially for newbies - it would avoid people needing to dredge the forums here or search the Firefly/Mediatomb/.. support pages.
For example, some wireless routers (like mine, an older Belkin with no new firmware upgrade available) don't even have the option for multicast to be enabled between their wireless and wired sides, even though they might allow changing the firewall rules to/from the Internet - possibly by means of uPDP.
I have my Bubba attached to the router by network cable, so I always need to tell my music player (Rhythmbox) manually to connect to the specific DAAP share by host and port. Only if I physically plug my laptop into the router can the laptop and Bubba see each other automatically. Fortunately I'll be upgrading the router anyway, so no wireless adapter needed for Bubba.