New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

mount bubba in ubuntu

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
pelle

mount bubba in ubuntu

Post by pelle »

trying to mount my bubba on a laptop recently installed with xubuntu
note: i am a beginner at linux

so far I have tried (in terminal window):
first:
sudo apt-get install smbfs
then mount with:

sudo mount -t smbfs //bubba_ip/web-admin/filemgr.php?path=/home/storage/ -o username=xyz,password=xyz,uid=yyy=gid=yyy

all i get is a error message "man 8 mount to many details"

help is appreciated

/bubba - loving it!
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

syntax is "mount <device> <mountpoint>"

that would translate to something like this (assuming that directory /mnt/bubba excists):

sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=xyz,password=xyz,uid=yyy,gid=yyy //bubba_ip/storage /mnt/bubba

/Bjorn
tor

Post by tor »

A quick note here,

If you are planning on using this in your fstab on your ubuntumachine. You should avoid stating your username and password in this file. Instead use credentials option to add this information to a file not readable by everyone on your system.

A googled article on this: http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystem ... ently.html

Look under the paragraph "Providing Security"

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
pelle

Post by pelle »

thanks for your support

I tried Björns suggestion - didnt help I am afraid

will read on in article suggested by Tor

I have a feling this is something to do with my LAN setup

As a beginner to Linux, I would wish for a simple "explorer" view to see and, if neccessary, mount any drive accesible on the LAN network

edit: any suggestions for: //servername/sharename /mountdirectory ?
should I try //Bubba/storage/ /music ?
Filip

Post by Filip »

Did you solve it pelle?
pete_kirkham

Post by pete_kirkham »

I don't know about differences between Xubuntu and Ubuntu, but on Ubuntu the server appears in Nautilus when you choose Places > Network, as ftp, sftp and is also under Windows network. Browsing into the server, it requests user and password as expected, adds them to the keychain, then shows the files.

For a one-off mount:

Code: Select all

mount -t smbfs //bubba/home /net/bubba/home -o username=*****,password=***** 
works for me.

I think that the ? you've got where you copied the URL for the web-admin console is confusing mount's command line processing causing the 'too many details' error; if you want the web files, they'd be under the mount point in the web folder.

Following the instructions at justlinux.com for adding to /etc/fstab, the followin works with mount -a when run as root:

//bubba/home    /net/bubba/home     smbfs credentials=/home/pete/.sambacreds,uid=pete 0 0
//bubba/storage /net/bubba/storage  smbfs credentials=/home/pete/.sambacreds,uid=pete 0 0
On next reboot, the mount points appear in Nautilus, but you can't mount them as a user.

To get mount working for users, you need to set suid root on smbmnt and ensure that the mount point is owned by the user doing the mounting.

I haven't tried enabling mounts for more than one account; if you add lines to fstab for each user, it adds icons for the mount points to everyone's accounts; trying to use ~ for the mount point and credentials doesn't seem to work either.

Pete
pelle

Post by pelle »

bump :-)

I tried to mount Bubba in Hardy but with no luck using this:

sudo mount -t smbfs //bubba/storage /home/bubba/storage -o username=*****,password=***** 
Error message:
mount error: could not find target server. TCP name bubba/storage not found. No ip address specified and hostname not found
Edit: Using bubbas IP "192.168.0.x" instead of "bubba" and I guess it worked. I can access Bubba folders from my Hardy/Home directory now.

What I really want to do is mount Bubba/storage permanently. So I guess I have to read on...will try editing fstab as suggested...
Cohan

Post by Cohan »

pelle wrote:[...]
What I really want to do is mount Bubba/storage permanently. So I guess I have to read on...will try editing fstab as suggested...
Permanent mounts are specified in /etc/fstab so you are correct to start digging there. Use the auto flag to have the mounting done automaticly at boot time.

Example:

//bubba/storage /net/bubba/storage  smbfs credentials=/home/pete/.sambacreds,uid=pete,auto 0 0
ahoff

Post by ahoff »

pelle

success!

Post by pelle »

Finally it worked.

I followed the advise in http://www.marcus-furius.com/?p=59

The line(s) added in fstab-file looks like this

//[bubbaip]/storage/music /home/[ubuntu-user]/Music/ cifs nounix,uid=[ubuntu-user],gid=[ubuntu-user],file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777, username=[bubbashare-user],password=[bubbashare-password]

(And yes; use credentials if you dont like listing your password in the fstab-file)
Ruud

mount returns error

Post by Ruud »

I want to mount my Bubba and decided to first try a one-time mount before going for the permanent one.
I tried to mount Bubba using the following command:
mount -t smbfs //bubba/home /mnt/mountedbubba -o username=abcd,password=efgh

This gives the following message back:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //bubba/home,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

dmesg gives some information, but I don't have a clue what to do with it:
smbfs: mount_data version 1919251317 is not supported

Can anyone help?? Thanks

Ruud
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

Try with 'cifs' instead of 'smbfs'.

mount -t cifs //bubba/home /mnt/mountedbubba -o username=abcd,password=efgh
/Johan
Ruud

cifs doesn't work

Post by Ruud »

Hi,
thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't help:

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system

Ruud
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hello again,

I'm no Ubuntu expert but it sounds like you're missing the package that support cifs. Kind of weird, but it appears you need the smbfs package, is it installed? If so, then I have no clue. Maybe someone here that is familiar with Ubuntu can help you...

/Johan
pelle

Post by pelle »

ruud: did you follow the instructions in my post above?
I.e. the instructions at: http://www.marcus-furius.com/?p=59

1. Install samba
2. Make a directory in your (note!) home-folder

If I remember correctly, mounting bubba in /mnt/folder did not work for me. When I tried mounting in /user/home all was well.
(Something to do with file permissions in default Ubuntu 8.04, I guess)