New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba changed MAC address after router restart?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Nöbbe

Bubba changed MAC address after router restart?

Post by Nöbbe »

Hi,

I restarted my router today, and after this it seems as if Bubba was using a different MAC address: 00029b4xxxxx. After a few hours I can now see that it is reporting the original MAC address: 00031cfxxxxx

But in any case I have problems connecting to the Bubba. The web-admin doesn't work, the html root only display the index.html without any CSS styles, and no image links work. I can't connect to SSH.

Is this a known problem? Is there any way to debug this?

BR
Martin
RandomUsername

Re: Bubba changed MAC address after router restart?

Post by RandomUsername »

The MAC address changing seems unlikely, it is usually hard-wired into a device (as every one supposed to be unique). Some devices do allow you to change it so you can spoof the MAC address of another device (ie. if an ISP only allows one device to be connected, you can hook up a switch and give it the MAC address of the device the ISP allows - this isn't common practice by ISPs nowadays AFAIK).
DanielM

Re: Bubba changed MAC address after router restart?

Post by DanielM »

RandomUsername wrote:The MAC address changing seems unlikely, it is usually hard-wired into a device (as every one supposed to be unique).
Well, actually the hard-wired MAC address is more of a suggestion. It is up to the operating system if it uses that MAC address or something completely different. In Linux it's easy settable in the network configuration.

That doesn't mean it's normal with a Bubba changing MAC by itself though :?

/Daniel