New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

secondary DNS

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
ruthvena

secondary DNS

Post by ruthvena »

Im trying to figure out what my primary and secondary dns number for xbox live? When i go to command prompt and type in ipconfig/ all it shws everything like my dns servers but it shows three of them and i dont know which are my primary and secondary?
Last edited by ruthvena on 13 Oct 2010, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Kiff

Re: secondary DNS

Post by Kiff »

I think they are listed in order (primary is the first one in the list.)

Failing that you could always use google public dns;
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

No they are not

You are messing up your terms, and you seem not to understand DNS. Primary and secondary servers are only relevant for the maintainer of the DNS server. Actually, primary and secondary are the wrong terms to use: there is only master and slave, where you update the master and the slaves follow.

As for clients, there is no relevance for master slave (or prim/sec). What you want is the authoritative machine that can give you your answers the quickest. Whether this is a master or a slave is irrelevant for you. In fact many DNS admins do not even allow their master to answer queries at all ! On a proper OS, the machines figures out which DNS server has the quickest response and uses that one. If it dies the software goes to the next best option.

Short answer: don't worry about it
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

@Ubi, I think he is talking about when you manually enter your LAN config you have to provide IP address, default gateway and (on most devices) two DNS servers. Nothing to do with configuring a DNS server.

@ruthvena, can you not just use DHCP? If not, just enter your Bubba's IP address as the primary and leave the secondary blank (or if it's a mandatory field enter the Bubba's IP address there too).
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

RandomUsername should start reading my posts before dismissing them
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Don't get in a strop. I see your second paragraph does touch on what I was on about but "don't worry about it" isn't much help if he needs to know what information to enter to get his Xbox connected.