New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Mac 10.4.9 crashing on connection attempt with Bubba

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
silverash

Mac OS 10.4.9

Post by silverash »

I just got my bubba a few days ago and I too am having this issue with the finder crashing when connecting to my bubba, however connecting directly to a folder (e.g. smb://bubba/storage) works fine.

I am going to look into this some more and see if I can come up with a reason for this.

I am using Version 3.0.10 of samba,if this help anyone in figuring out this issue.
estorino

Post by estorino »

I have the same problem using 10.4.10, connecting directly to
smb://bubba.local/storage or smb://bubba.local/home works fine, however, I hooked up and installed my HP Deskjet 930c printer through the webinterface, but there's no way to reach this printer or am I missing something?

I can't browse to smb://bubba.local nor directly to smb://bubbal.local/printername

Any suggestions?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi estorino,

I realize now that we lack a Mac printer section in our manual. (Will be added in next version of the manual)

I don't have access to a Mac right now. But you should be able to add the printer using MacOSs "Printer Setup Utility" and make sure that "Show printers connected to other computers" is checked in Print Center preferences. Click Add printer and choose Advanced. Choose "Windows Printer via SAMBA" from the drop down and follow the instructions.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Tim

Mac Printing

Post by Tim »

tor wrote:Hi estorino,

I realize now that we lack a Mac printer section in our manual. (Will be added in next version of the manual)

I don't have access to a Mac right now. But you should be able to add the printer using MacOSs "Printer Setup Utility" and make sure that "Show printers connected to other computers" is checked in Print Center preferences. Click Add printer and choose Advanced. Choose "Windows Printer via SAMBA" from the drop down and follow the instructions.

/Tor
Hi Tor,

I think your instructions are for a version of OS X prior to the current one (10.4.10).

/Tim
estorino

Post by estorino »

tor wrote:Hi,

Regarding the crashing Finder in MacOSX. This is an "incompatibility" between Bubbas Samba server and the "client" in some MacOSX versions.

If one have a problem, the solution is not to browse for the service but rather use a direct connection. To do this choose Go in the finder menu and then Connect to server. When prompted for location use either smb://bubba/storage to reach the public part or smb://bubba/home for the private share.

(And as a note, we are not able to reproduce the above crash on our MacOSX 10.4.9 test system. So not all systems with this version is affected.)

/Tor
I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard yesterday, and the incompatibility described above by Tor is no longer an issue. I can now connect to smb://bubba.local without problems, no need to connect directly to smb://bubba.local/storage of smb://bubba.local/home.