New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Streaming issues Bubba --> Playstation 3

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
TazUk

Streaming issues Bubba --> Playstation 3

Post by TazUk »

I've recently acquired a PS3 and am having some difficulty accessing Bubba's media server using the PS3.
Photos can be accessed and displayed properly.
Video filenames are retrieved successfully but not streamed
Music filenames are not retrieved (however Artist and Album names are).

Attempts to play MP3s and Videos result in a message "Unsupported format" and a diagnostic message from the PS3 indicating problems connecting to Bubba.

Network is setup using a Linksys WRT54GS, with the PS3 hard wired to the router and Bubba serving files wirelessly via a Buffalo 54G wireless extender.
UPNP is switched on at the router.

Can anyone please advise me how to resolve / diagnose this issue? Are there any logs on Bubba that could help me at this point?
TazUk
--
The 'Net is a waste of time,
and that's exactly what's right about it.

William Gibson
pa

Post by pa »

Hi,

There is another thread discussing this issue, http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431. With updated firmware in both units, it should work according to the users, but I have not tried it myself.

/PA
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Yes I noticed that thread and tacked a post on the end in the hope that the person who got it working would post back.

I've checked and upgraded Bubba today however still have the same issues as before. :(
TazUk
--

William Gibson
tor

Post by tor »

Hi TazUk,

We are aware that PS3 playback has some problems atm.

We are working on a firmware update which will include among other things an upgrade of the Mediatomb mediaserver, responsible for the UPNP functionality. The version we ship now actually doesnt really support PS3 while the newer does. So when this is done you should hopefully get a better experience with Bubba and your PS3.

Unfortunately, as you have noticed, this upgrade has been somewhat delayed. We are doing our best to get this update done asap.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

tor wrote:Hi TazUk,

We are aware that PS3 playback has some problems atm.
Unfortunately, as you have noticed, this upgrade has been somewhat delayed. We are doing our best to get this update done asap.

Thanks for the response Tor :D

I'm just happy to know that it's not
(a) me doing something wrong
(b) my router doing something silly

This is my first adventure into media streaming so I'm happy to wait for the upgrade. I need to get it right before I replace my desktop PC (that's really only used for music) with a hardware streaming client.
TazUk
--

William Gibson
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Quick Update:

PS3 now running firmware v1.9, Bubba upgraded to latest release.

PS3 now can't find Bubba as a media server at all. :(
TazUk
--

William Gibson
tor

Post by tor »

Hopefully the new firmware update will help, could you please try that?

/Tor
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

tor wrote:Hopefully the new firmware update will help, could you please try that?

/Tor
Aha!

I can see Bubba again...

Photos are ok (as before)

And I have music !!! :shock: :D

All videos still show as "unsupported data" (AVI, MOV, 3GP formats) however.

Big improvement overall - many thanks!
TazUk
--

William Gibson
tor

Post by tor »

Hi TazUk,

Nice to here about the improvements :)

A pity that movies does not yet work. I can tell you that we will most likely do a new upgrade of the mediaserver part. This due to that we are not running the latest version yet. A minor issue stopped us from shipping that. So hopefully there will be even more improvements soon.

/Tor
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

tor wrote:Hi TazUk,

Nice to here about the improvements :)

A pity that movies does not yet work. I can tell you that we will most likely do a new upgrade of the mediaserver part. This due to that we are not running the latest version yet. A minor issue stopped us from shipping that. So hopefully there will be even more improvements soon.

/Tor
No worries mate. It was the ability to play my 30gb of mp3s I was most keen on :-)
TazUk
--

William Gibson
Cros

Post by Cros »

Hi Taz and Tor!

The reason why you can't stream your videos to the PS3 isn't any fault of Bubba's or MediaTomb, it's because the PS3 doesn't support those formats. Here is a list of supported formats, not sure if it is complete though. But as you can see your formats aren't there.

VIDEO: MPEG-1 • MPEG-2 (PS,TS) • H.264/MPEG-4 AVC • MPEG-4 SP

Cheers!
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Cros wrote:Hi Taz and Tor!

The reason why you can't stream your videos to the PS3 isn't any fault of Bubba's or MediaTomb, it's because the PS3 doesn't support those formats. Here is a list of supported formats, not sure if it is complete though. But as you can see your formats aren't there.

VIDEO: MPEG-1 • MPEG-2 (PS,TS) • H.264/MPEG-4 AVC • MPEG-4 SP

Cheers!
Thanks for the info Cros.

I'm not too fussed about the videos, most are poor quality (shot with mobile / webcam) so don't look too good on the big screen.
TazUk
--

William Gibson
involver

Post by involver »

and don't forget .vob file! Great stuff...
TazUk

Post by TazUk »

Just a quick note to follow up.

I've noticed that after a while Bubba is no longer visible as a media server. A check of running processes shows that mediatomb is still running.

Rebooting resolves the issue.

Is there a way to resolve this without rebooting? I've had a look round mediatomb's documentation but I'm not clear on the best way forward.
TazUk
--

William Gibson
tor

Post by tor »

Hi TazUk,

Strange that Bubba got "lost" on the network.

You can always try just to restart Mediatomb. Log in as admin in the web-admin ui. Choose Services uncheck UPNP streaming press Update to stop Mediatomb. Check UPNP streaming again and press Update to start it again. That will hopefully solve the problem. (But if this happens frequently we would of course like to now about it)

/Tor