New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Security

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
ian

Security

Post by ian »

I have not yet bought a bubba, but am seriously considering it. However, I have one question: if someone were to break into my house and steal my bubba server, how safe would any information on the hard-disk be?

Thanks in advance, Ian.
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi,

Not safe at all if the thief has basic knowledge in linux. He could easily remove the disk from bubba and mount it in another computer and read all your data.

You could however implement an encrypted filesystem within the bubba itself, but for that you'd pay a hefty toll on performance as these actions require lots of cpu cycles.

/Bjorn
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

I actually got my bubba to prevent data loss after a robbery. I've mounted it (together with a NetCenter NAS) behind a bolted board, far far away. Most robbers won't expect a computer to be there, let alone invest 20 min in retreiving it. My desktop and laptop sync constantly to the NAS (using AllwaySync) so that, if I do get burgled, I'll allways have my data.
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Ubi, sounds like you've had quite fun securing your home :P

But what about floods, fires or direct hit by lightning? If you're really keen on protecting your data you should definitely consider off site backup.

Me and zmannen as written some articles describing an automated, incremental encrypted backup using "trackerless" bittorrent client over internet. Perhaps i should translate and write a quick howto get it setup.

Or if you can't wait for that you can always go ahead and implement your own solution :)
johan

Post by johan »

bjorn, I'd guess that you are the author of the remote backup articles in 'Elektronik i Norden'? Your articles where the reason for me getting a bubba of my own, thank you! :D

Trying to recall your solution, I believe that you indeed used a tracker. A locally implemented tracker, but you were refering to:
..."trackerless" bittorrent client over internet.
Have you improved your solution?
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

johan,

Nice to hear that you liked them enough to buy one, hope you'll have as much fun as we're having with our bubba servers. And you're absolutely right, there's a local tracker. We choose to call it trackerless since the most common methods is to have one centralized tracker, and our local approach this is somewhat semi-decentralized-manual-tracking.

"semi" in the way that we don't have our local trackers communicating with each other, and "manual" in the way that we don't provide any auto-discovery of new members to the network :)

We've not improved the setup any further though, but i turned off the processes we used when writing the articles just the other week, and it had been running fine and backing up my data without problems for several months!

/Bjorn
limpo

Post by limpo »

Hii,

Bjorn do you have a link to your documentation, tips?
Sound really cool :D

/Magnus
Mange

Post by Mange »

I also got interested, and found the article online

http://i.cmpnet.com/eetimeseurope.cmp.c ... 0sid46.pdf

and here is the actual script:

http://www.eetimes.eu/scandinavia/bubba ... script.htm

(in swedish)
Clive

Post by Clive »

It would be good if someone could translate these into English as I am sure this would interest alot of people !