New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

DAAP streaming to soundbridge

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
JohanW

DAAP streaming to soundbridge

Post by JohanW »

I´m having problems with the DAAP streaming to my Soundbridge 1001.
Connection from the soundbridge to internet is ok. Updating soundbridge software works as well as the internet radio.
As for music from Bubba the soundbridge says "Servers that are not compatible are found" (Svenska: Servrar som ej stöds hittades-Soundbridge hittade en eller flera DAAP-servrar på nätverket men kan inte ansluta till dem bla bla rekomenderar att man intallerar firefly...)

Am I doing something wrong? The DAAP is ticked in on the admin/services and I have music in storage/music.

Regards
Johan
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Johan,

This sounds very strange. We have other customers that use Bubba with Roku SoundBridge, not sure if it is the 1001 though.

Can you connect to Bubba from an Itunes installation?

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
JohanW

Post by JohanW »

Yes Tor. Today I installed windows mediaplayer 11 and I could instantly play the music from my laptop on soundbridge. The music on bubba is still invisible, what is wrong?

johan
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

A short update on this.

Excito can confirm that there seems to be a problem with, at least, newer SoundBridges.

The solution is to upgrade the Daap streaming software which solves the access from these devices.

Excito is working on validating this upgrade. And an update will be available shortly.

/Tor
tor

Post by tor »

A note for the record. This issue should be solved with the 0.30.3 release of the firmware.

/Tor
Clive

Post by Clive »

tor wrote:Hi,

A short update on this.

Excito can confirm that there seems to be a problem with, at least, newer SoundBridges.

The solution is to upgrade the Daap streaming software which solves the access from these devices.

Excito is working on validating this upgrade. And an update will be available shortly.

/Tor
Not sure if this is relevant but I recently purchased a Pinnacle branded Soundbridge and it was not possible to use the current stable version of mt-daapd as Pinnacle were not able to license the use of daap protocol from Apple. However the 'nightly' releases of mt-daapd (Firefly) now contain the custom ROK protocol to enable the Pinnacle devices to function perfectly.

When is the next firmware release planned ?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Clive,

We already run a nightly release of mt-daapd. If you have upgraded to the latest 0.30.3 release you should be running mt-daapd aka firefly subversion version 1498. Which should work with the Roku/Pinacle Soundbridge.

/Tor
Clive

Post by Clive »

If you are running the 1498 version of mt-daapd then you should be OK supporting the "Pinnacle" Soundbridges; which do not support the daap protocol.

You should also mention this in your release notes which currently state "supports newer Roku Soundbridges" rather than "supports newer "Pinnacle/Roku Soundbridges", there is a key difference between the Roku product which supports daap and Pinnacle which does not. Made all the more confusing that the nightly build of "mt-daapd (1498)" supports both. (The name of the RPM is misleading and it is their issue that they have not renamed it Firefly)

There is a lot of contradictory information on Google about what software supports what ,and Bubba needs to advertise that it supports all.

(I only ordered my Bubba today, so I am waiting and hoping the postman is quick !)
James

Soundbridge or SqueezeBox?

Post by James »

Hi everyone

I see there's been a similar thread with regard SlimDevice's SquuzeBox. Just wondered what wireless media devices people were using and what you find works best with Bubba.

Interested to hear your comments.

Cheers, James
Clive

Post by Clive »

Just received my Bubba this evening so just starting to play ! One thing I noticed was when I copied my Music across, mt-daapd did not seem to find it. Even though the server was running and my Soundbridge could connect.

What I had to do was manually connect to the Mt-daapd configuration console (http://mybubba:3689/) and manually kick off a 'Start Full Scan' which worked. I am not too sure why mt-daapd is not running this automatically as it is set to 600secs in the conf file so should run.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Just want to add to Clives comment here; I have bought a Pinncle Soundbridge M1001, and it does support daap (as well as UPnP). Maybe it's the Pinnacle Soundbridge Home that doesn't have DAAP support?

Anyway, now since Bubba has UPnP support, it's easier to just say that it supports almost everything. :)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Clive

Post by Clive »

Interesting.....

Apparently Pinnacle were not able to license the DAAP protocol from Apple (even though Roku had), so apparently none of the Pinnacle products supported DAAP. Although this may have changed, either way it's no problem as Bubba supports the ROK protocol via the latest Mt-daap and Upnp, so this isn't an issue.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ah, OK, thanks Clive for clearing that out. Maybe it isn't DAAP my soundbridge supports, but it finds Bubbas mt-daap server, as you say probably with another protocol than DAAP.

When I read your posts again, it makes sense. Thanks!
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Clive

Post by Clive »

It's their fault that the server is still called 'mt-daap' and not renamed 'firefly'. When I first bought my Soundbridge there was lots of contradictory information on if "mt-daap" could work with the Pinnacle Soundbridges. It does ! (At least the nightly releases rather than the older stable release)

Although as I mentioned on another thread, I prefer the Mediatomb UPnP which has more features than mt-daap (ie the possibility to browse Bubbas directory structure).