New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Partimage on bubba mini flash recovery

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
limpo

Partimage on bubba mini flash recovery

Post by limpo »

Hi,

According to http://www.partimage.org/Download, it is possible to compile the binary. Would this not make it possible to add this to the bubba mini flash recovery?

Or is it possible to use the mini recovery image and mount a network file system and then use dd to make an image copy of bubbas hd?

Ex,
#sshfs /remote /mnt/bubbahd

#dd /mnt/bubbahd bubba.ddimage

Any suggestions, howtos for bubba mini recovery bubba hd backup?

/Limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Limpo,

It is of course possible to compile partimage for bubba. I have tried it on a regular bubba and that works fine. The rescue image is however not built on Debian but on uClibc and busybox and there you have to compile all dependencies, which is a few for partimage, as well. (I tried to do a static, which doesnt need the shared libraries, compile on partimage but that failed on newt)

I actually still would recomend to just pack the filesystem in a compressed tar archive and store it on a network disk, or on the USB device that the rescue image booted from, but that could be a bit slow. This would give you the same space benefits as using partimage when only used space is saved. If you use dd it will also store all unused sectors of the partition that would be quite stupid on anything but a full disk.

A tip is that the rescue image actually contains a web server, boa, that could be used to do all this from a webpage ;)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
limpo

Post by limpo »

Hi Tor,

But booting from flash and using tar to make an archive, could this contain/save MBR, user/system rights?

"pack the filesystem in a compressed tar archive and store it on a network disk"
:What network mounting techniques are available in the rescue image uClibc(smbfs, sshfs)?

"store it on a network disk, or on the USB device"
:Could you give some working examples of a bubba tar backup to a windows(shared folder)/linux backup server?

What is the USB device mounted on for possible storage of a tar archive(/mnt/usb)?

"A tip is that the rescue image actually contains a web server, boa, that could be used to do all this from a webpage"
:You mean I could create an page in HTML where I call tar to do a backup and save the tar as a download?

Thanx for the great tips!
/Limpo
tor

Post by tor »

Hi limpo,

Making a tar archive will save any permissions, if you do it as root. We dont use any MBR, our bootloader and kernel is located on a chip instead of on disk.

Unfortunately i think, dont have the information available now, the only network filesystem available on the rescueimage is nfs. But to store a backup on the USB device you booted from, store it on /initrd/mnt

And regarding the webserver. You would have to do some tweaks and implement the functionality as a CGI application with root capabilities.

I will try to give an example on a simple backup to USB storage later.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer