New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Picking up IP address when ADSL router reboots

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
PeterTuson

Picking up IP address when ADSL router reboots

Post by PeterTuson »

I leave my Bubba on all the time and use it to control the electrical devices, lights and curtains within my home.

At the moment, I also leave the ADSL router running all the time. I would like to turn the router off when it wasn't being used. My Bubba would then control the times that the ADSL router was on.

However, tests have shown that Bubba fails to pick up the IP address when the ADSL router reboots. I am having to reboot Bubba as well.

How can I set up my Bubba so that it automatically picks up an IP address when the router reboots?
peter
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi Peter,

There are hints on how to do this here -

http://excito.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492
tor

Post by tor »

Hi PeterTuson,

Does your router also act as a firewall DHCP server? Or how is your setup?

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
PeterTuson

Post by PeterTuson »

My router does act as a firewall and DCHP server.

It is a BT Home Hub which is connected into the telephone line through an ADSL filter. My Bubba is connected to it via an ethernet cable. The Bubba is then connected via USB and USB to serial to an X10 inteface, which controls the electrical devices within my home.

The router also acts as a wireless router for my linux laptop and a DECT hub for my digital wireless phones.

I want the Bubba to turn off the router when the house was unoccupied and turn it on again when the house is occupied or there is an intruder.
peter
PeterTuson

DHCP Client Timeout

Post by PeterTuson »

Clive,

Thanks for your input.

While I had changed the dhcp client timeout before, it looks as though the recent software upgrade put back the old value. Changing it back to 120 enables Bubba to correctly pick up the IP adress whenever the router reboots even though Bubba remains on.

This means that I am now turning off the router whenever there is no-one in the house.

It would be useful if the timeout was increased within the base software.

Regards,

Peter.
peter