New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Approx 25% of HDD capacity missing? (370GB from 500GB drive)

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
hooper35

Post by hooper35 »

Tor, do you think there is an answer or should we send our hardware back?
johannes

Post by johannes »

GaryL; We use Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives with Bubba, and we have confirmed that the size problem doesn't occur on those.

Tor is looking in to the issue currently, and will get back to as soon as he can.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks johannes/Tor. Much appreciated.

Fingers crossed there can be a fix. As I’d rather not be out the cost of buying a new hard drive.

If there is anything you need me or would like me to try out in regards to my hard drive issue please let me know, I'd be more than happy to help.
hooper35

Post by hooper35 »

Have you made any progress on this? I am thinking it may be easier to send the harddrive back. :(
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

We have done some investigation. And the problem is most certainly located in the Linux kernel or our IDE driver. This means that to solve this issue one will have to update the kernel image.

We will continue to investigate this until we locate the problem. But if you, hooper35, have the posibility return your harddrive and exchange it that will most likely be easier than wait for the kernel fix and upgrade that.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Ordered a new (Seagate) HDD last night, fingers crossed it'll arrive tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait, really want to get it up and running :D .

Do you reckon there is anyway of knowing what hard drives will or won't work with the current OS. i.e. is it something to do with the specification of the hard drive?
It might be worth thinking about creating a sticky thread with all known hard drives that work.

hooper35

Post by hooper35 »

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. On second thoughts, I think I will use the existing hdd as I don't actually need all the space (yet). I will wait for your fix.

Is there any danger with the bubba only recognising 75% of the disc? Might there be a fault with the partition or something else?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Nope, I can't see that it could be dangerous in any way.

Regarding other disks, we have only verified a few, Seagate Barracuda, Samsung Spinpoint and Hitachi Deskstar. However, we can't make any promises that all types of these brands will work correctly.

We currently assemble Seagate Barracuda (mainly due to their low noise and high reliability), and we know for sure that recent models of 80, 320, 500 and 750 GB sizes work as expected.

We'll get back once we find out more.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
hooper35

Post by hooper35 »

I had a thought about this.

Yesterday I was having difficulty getting files to download from Filemanager. I kept on getting an error (blank doc etc). I then did a bubba "Update Software" and found I had 6 pacakges that needed updating. Once this had worked successfully, I found I could download documents correctly.

The thought was... Could your current image be a bit behind where it should be? Is there a fix for your IDE driver or other packages that might not be completely up to date in that image (but which is updated when using the "Update Software" button). Might you be testing partitioning with a completely up to date environment rather than with the image I used?
pa

Post by pa »

Hi hooper35,

The updates that you do in the web-admin interface are updates to the system that you are normally running.
When doing an install and partitioning the system, Bubba uses the same kernel, but does not start debian, it is running a custom system built on busybox.
So when the partitioning is made the version of our firmware does not matter.

/PA
hooper35

Post by hooper35 »

Ok. It was only a thought. Any joy on finding out the issue?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Although not that this helps you hooper35, but I just recieved my 500GB Seagate drive today (was meant to arrive last friday :( ).
All up and running with a healthy 457.45GB (468426MB) of disk space. :D
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

Hi, did any one try to repartition the hd ?
Using Parted or a windows based (Acroni-symantec) ??
I try to boot from the mini image, but don't know if Parted is present.
Thanks,
Paolo
Monk

Post by Monk »

Just wanted to add myself to the list of interested parties...

my hard drive is the following model
500GB Western Digital WD5000AAJB Caviar SE, IDE (PATA), 7200 rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.9 ms

and is showing up as only 379 246 MB.
paolol61

Post by paolol61 »

Same as mine and I was not able to exchange for another brand because all HD are now SATA or SATA2 for size over 300 gb, so better stay with this one :)
8)