New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

SSH ports

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Hammer

SSH ports

Post by Hammer »

Ok, when I try "sshd -p 443" and then try to connecty putty to that, I get no response. Same thing for port 80.

For any random port it seems to work.

Why can´t I bind sshd to 443?

/Hammer
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

sshd can't bind to the ports 80 or 443 because they are already in use by apache2, if i understand what you're trying to do correctly.

/Bjorn
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Damn, what is apache used for? Can I "unbind" 443 from it?

Sorry, don't know anything about linux.

Thanks for your help!
John W

Post by John W »

Hammer wrote:Damn, what is apache used for? Can I "unbind" 443 from it?

Sorry, don't know anything about linux.

Thanks for your help!
I guess you want to use the ports 443/80 because they're allowed by your work's firewall, right?
I think you can "unbind" port 443 (SSL) in Apache's config (located /etc/apache/sites-available/bubba) by changing "NameVirtualHost *:443".
But im not sure if SSL is used in Web-admin?
tor

Post by tor »

https access is not required by web-admin. But very wise if you want to access the admin ui from unsafe places.

You should be able to change that port to something else as John says. Edit /etc/apache/sites-available/bubba and change every occurance of 443, should be on three places, to something else say 444 Save the file and restart apache

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Then if you want to access any web page on bubba with encryption you would have to do it like https://bubba:444/pagetoaccess

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Hi tor and thanks.

Sorry, I don't have the apache dir!
An ls of etc shows an apache2, guess it has been renamed.

And now I've tried your thing, and I can now putty to 443 from home. Great! Will try it at work on Mon!

Cheers.