New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Firefly not working

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
hawkman

Firefly not working

Post by hawkman »

Hi,

I just noticed that I don't see my firefly from iTunes anymore. I cannot browse to http://bubba.local:3689/ either.

When trying to start the mt-daapd daemon, I get:

Code: Select all

bubba:/usr# /etc/init.d/mt-daapd start    
Starting daapd server: mt-daapdmt-daapd: client.c:776: avahi_client_errno: Assertion `client' failed.
/etc/init.d/mt-daapd: line 79: 15791 Aborted                 start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON
So, something is wrong :)

I have not done anything to my setup but upgrading to latest firmware.

By the error message, I tried to restart the avahi-daemon, but the result is

Also, when trying to start the avahi, I get

bubba:/usr# /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start
 * Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon
   ...fail!
Any suggestions?

Btw the only modification I have made to my mt-daapd.conf is that I have changed the servername tag of the service. But this has worked fine a long time before the FW upgrade.

BR
H
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

This is most likely due to an upgrade of the dbus daemon, which must have failed to restart for some reason, in the latest firmware upgrade.

Try to restart the d-bus daemon

/etc/init.d/dbus-daemon restart
and then start avahi and mt-daapd again. (Alternately restart your bubba)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
hawkman

Post by hawkman »

Hi,

Thansk for your answer. Tried to dbus-daemon, without success.
Restart of bubba did the trick.
Thanks!
estorino

Post by estorino »

I noticed the same problem today, I did exactly as Tor said en it worked for me, didn't have to restart bubba (or even iTunes...)

/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart
/etc/init.d/mt-daapd restart
(did it in that order, not sure if the order matters...)
finnfix

Post by finnfix »

I have no problem using the default port 3689, but that port is closed at work. I have then tried to change the port in mt-daapd.conf to port 8080, but that results in a "DAAP link failed" in the DAAPApplet.

Is there somewhere I also need to change the port number?

I should add that I have tried the following:

/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart
/etc/init.d/mt-daapd restart
The latter two restarts fine, but restarting the dbus-daemon gives the following error:

Unknown group "netdev" in message bus configuration file
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hello finnfix,

You are going to want to access more and more bubba services from work, and you can only set up one or two to ports that your employer will allow for outgoing traffic. You would be better off using ssh tunneling.

I find PuTTY being a very good and free windows ssh client (assuming you use windows at work). You can get it here:
http://www.putty.org/

Start PuTTY and then create a profile for your bubba. Then go to the SSH -> Tunnels section and add an unused listening port number on your PC at work as the "Source port".

To find out what listening ports are already in use, execute this from a command prompt:

netstat -a | find "LISTEN"
Then fill in "bubba:3689" as Destination. Save your profile and then connect. Assuming that your employer allows outgoing traffic on port 22, you can then log in to your bubba in the terminal window that opens.

PuTTY will then redirect any localhost traffic on the port you specified to bubba:3689 on your home network. You can do this to any number of ports on the same ssh connection. Just set whatever client application you want to use to localhost with the port number you specified in the PuTTY options, and it will be tunneled (encrypted too, as a bonus) to your home network at the host and port you entered.
This does not just have to be the bubba, but any machine your bubba can reach on your home network.

I use this for a number of different things, and it works perfectly. I use it to start up machines at home from work using etherwake, to get remote desktop access from work using VNC, to read email from work etc.

You can even set it up to log in automatically and authenticate using a public key, without displaying the terminal window.

If you are using linux at work, all of the above can be accomplished as well with ssh.

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
finnfix

Post by finnfix »

Uh, this sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I know Putty and I've used it to remotely access Bubba from work, but never tried SSH tunneling.

But I can't make it work. I've typed in the Source port (8080, I expect, because it is not listed in "netstat -a | find "LISTEN"" (which are ports that are in use? Or the ones I should choose from?))

In the Destination field I typed the local IP address (192.168.X.X:3689). I then log in to Bubba.

Can I then use any browser to start the DAAPApplet? This doesn't work, where is this going wrong for me?

Should I configure me router to forward the port as well?

I should note that I actually haven't tried this from work yet, I've only tried this through VPN, don't know if this makes any difference? Otherwise I'll try it at work on Monday...
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

ok, if you can access your bubba from work via putty, then just make sure that the port port number you use at work is not in use. Say you want to use 1234. The output of the netstat command should not list anything already using 1234.

In putty, fill in 1234 in "Source port", then bubba:3689 in the "Destination" field. Make sure to hit the "Add" button.

Then if you are using a browser to access port 3689 on your bubba, just type in this address field: http://localhost:1234

Putty should have opened a listener on port 1234 on your local machine but is forwarding all the traffic through ssh to your bubba at home.
finnfix

Post by finnfix »

Thank you very much, it works!

It seems that I can use the 3689 as the source port, and then the key word is 'localhost:3689'.
finnfix

Post by finnfix »

Could you give me a hint of how to log in automatically and authenticate using my public key?
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

I followed the instructions here:
http://blog.psuter.ch/?p=18
finnfix

Post by finnfix »

Excellent, but where is the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the Bubba?
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Edit: spelling. Edit again: disabling the stupid smileys...

~ is a shortcut/representation to your home directory.
Any files or directories starting with a dot (.) are not visible unless you use ls -a.

If the directory is not there, just create it:
cd ~
mkdir .ssh
cd .ssh
vi authorized_keys
Press the 'i' key, and then paste your public key in there (this is done by clicking your right mouse button if you are using putty or a terminal in the command prompt of ms windows like telnet).
Press escape, and then colon (:) and then wq (as in write, quit) and then enter. Or if you have another text editor you are more comfortable with, just use that one. Or use your favourite windows editor and then just shove the files over to the bubba using FTP, or just edit them with notepad via SAMBA.

The end result should be the same though.
finnfix

Post by finnfix »

I've had several problems with key generation and Bubba's acceptance of these. I therefore found the following guide to generate the RSA keys directly on Bubba: http://www.mysql-apache-php.com/ssh-attacks.htm

It's actually a basic security guide for SSH.