New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Problems with Torrent downloads

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Clive

Problems with Torrent downloads

Post by Clive »

Hi Guys,

Been having problems with downloading torrents since the last Bubba upgrade. When trying to download torrents it seems to hange at the 'Connecting to tracker' stage, the /var/log/daemon.log reports the following -

Dec 31 09:33:04 sydnew ftd: Invalid encoding in torrent
Dec 31 09:33:05 sydnew ftd: Failed to remove torrent file /home/storage/torrents/xxxxxx.torrent because No such file or directory
Dec 31 09:34:31 sydnew ftd: Tracker announce failed: -1
Dec 31 09:35:32 sydnew ftd: Tracker announce failed: 200
Dec 31 09:38:29 sydnew ftd: Tracker announce failed: 200

Any idea what could be causing this ???

The torrent downloads fine using rtorrent instead...

//Clive.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

The problem seems to be that the downloader does not get in contact with the tracker. Why rtorrent does better is hard to say.

The first two lines in the log indicates that there where problems download the torrent it self. Most likely the web site that hosts the torrent file returns some form of error. But in this case you should not get as far as a "Connecting to tracker" but instead end up with a failed download.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Clive

Post by Clive »

Strange, this has only started happening on this particular torrent tracker since the upgrade to 0.51.2. I've been downloading from this particular tracker for years without problems.

Guess I will have to stick with rtorrent if there is no workaround....

Also, is the idle ftd.bin process supposed to be running at 20% CPU even though there are no downloaded or anything happening at the moment ??
tor

Post by tor »

Hmm,

The tracker problem could be due to the change of torrent library. A different user agent that might not be allowed on that paritcular tracker. If you want to we would of course be interested in which one ;)

Regarding the 20% on idle. This is most likely due to one of the extensions we support now. They seem to be rather chatty eating resources even when idle, one reason that dht is not enabled by default. We have however not measured any major system performance degradation with them enabled. If you want you can always disable them.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Clive

Post by Clive »

Thanks Tor, I will check up with the tracker people to see if they have a list of 'banned' download clients or libraries. I am expecting that it is something to do with this. Rtorrent is woking fine for me at the moment.

No problems with the FTD processes, I was just wondering if FTD had crashed or something which was contributing to my other problems.