New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

IMAP Server listen on other port ?

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Boy

IMAP Server listen on other port ?

Post by Boy »

Hi,

I have the following situation: I am at different client locations, where I can´t connect to the Bubba imap server using Thunderbird portable. But I can connect to the Bubba with an internet browser and do the mailing.
At other locations I am able to use Thunderbird portable.
For convenience reasons I would like to use only Thunderbird and do no switching to webmail and vice versa.

I think the port 143 is blocked at the different client locations where I can´t connect via Thunderbird portable. Is there a way to make the IMAP server listen to port 80. Or am I completly wrong with my assumptions ?

Any help is welcomed.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

It should be possible to connect the dovecot IMAP to port 80, but that will mess up your web-interface completely. Sure you want to do this?
Boy

Post by Boy »

Ubi, thanks for the reply.

As I said, it would make the mailing more comfortable. I am especially interested in the functionality to switch identies while replying to mails. I haven´t found this in the WebClient ?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi Boy,

Of course you can have more than one identity in the webmail client.

To add or edit identities click options up to the right of the screen. You will get a Preferences page. Select Identities. Here you can add and edit your different identities.

Then when sending or responding to emails. You should be able to select which identity to use with a drop down in the compose page.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hello Boy,

Most corporate networks and ISPs allow outgoing SSH on port 22.
If you are in a place where you cannot get access to your server on port 143, try starting a ssh session to your server, and then tunnel the IMAP protocol through it:

Putty is a free and excellent windows ssh client. Download it and start it.

Type in the external name or IP of your bubba on the default screen.
Expand the treeview item called "SSH", then "Tunnels".

Fill in '999' (as an example, use whatever port suits you) in "source port", and 'bubba:143' in destination field.
Then click the "Add" button. and then the "Open" button.

You should now be presented with a terminal window where you can log in to your bubba server (you will need an account with shell access).

Once logged in, leave the terminal open, and it should tunnel localhost port 999 to your bubba at port 143.
In other words, set your mail client to host: localhost, port: 999.

As long as you keep that terminal window open, your mail client will talk to the listener on port 999 on your local machine, but will send all the traffic encrypted through to your bubba at home.

You can then use your mail client as if you were on your home network, without changing anything.

Best regards
/McCheese
Boy

Post by Boy »

Hi all,

@Tor

Thanks for reply. You are right. This will do the trick.

@Cheesboy
Thanks Cheeseboy. I will try, when I am back at the client.

Cheers
Boy
Boy

Post by Boy »

Hi Cheeseboy,

I followed your steps and it works. Thanks a lot. But I can´t send any mail. It says that the mail server is not reachable.

For your information, I am using as the smtp server the provider which did the registration of the domain. In the end the server would need to be reached via the bubba server. Is this possible ?

I set up postfix described here by eek.

Best regards
Boy
Eek

Post by Eek »

When you login on the bubba and send mail direct from the bubba.
Does that work?
If that works, then it sounds like you tunneled your imap server for getting mail, but forgot to tunnel port 25 for sending mail.

cheers
Eek
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Sorry, I should have mentioned forwarding SMTP as well s IMAP.

I don't do that my self due to limitations in my ISP.
I have to use an external SMTP server, so no tunneling needed for me when sending emails...

Cheers

/Cheeseboy
Boy

Post by Boy »

Thanks eek and cheeseboy. With tunneling also port 25 to the bubba, sending mail works as well.

Cheers
Boy