New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

CMS alternatives

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
eeeuser1

CMS alternatives

Post by eeeuser1 »

Hi,
It's not really support but it's the closest forum.

I've installed PHP-Fusion and Joomla.
Joomla is too slow, fusion - well all the sites look alike really.

Anyone tried any others that are as quick or reasonable as Fusion, any ideas?

Ta
J
dougie

CMS alternatives

Post by dougie »

Hi J

I tried SugarCRM, but found it very slow. I now use MODx, which is much quicker on Bubba.
MODx is at: http://www.modxcms.com/

Dougie
eeeuser1

Re: CMS alternatives

Post by eeeuser1 »

dougie wrote:Hi J

I tried SugarCRM, but found it very slow. I now use MODx, which is much quicker on Bubba.
MODx is at: http://www.modxcms.com/

Dougie
Cool i'll look at that.

I found http://opensourcecms.com/ but there is lots! and to install each one to see if it is slow.....
I might as well draw on user experiences.
J
Rawhead

Post by Rawhead »

You can allways change theme in php-fusion or make some theme by ourself.

My favorite theme in fusion is Nature by Matonor. its simply to change this theme with the program Top style light.
Gurriz

Post by Gurriz »

I have tried Joomla and Mambo. They are too slow on my Bubba. Now I try CMSimple. Seems to work OK so far. It's a very simple CMS without database integration.
Eek

Post by Eek »

I tried
- Zope Plone
- PHP-Nuke
- SPIN
- Nuke-Evolution
- Metadot
they all worked, but none had any performance
which i found totally unworkable.
So i found php fusion, which performs great!
eeeuser1

Post by eeeuser1 »

So far have found Modx to be almost acceptable on performance.

PHP fusion is very quick, but is more like a community portal type site, rather than a web site as such, hence my reason for trying other options.

J
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

I'm trying to install MODx on my bubba and have run into a strange problem. The install process goes fine, everything seems to be set up correctly - but when i login to the manager i get database connection failures.

This is what the public web shows:
« MODx Parse Error »
MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
« Execution of a query to the database failed - Lost connection to MySQL server during query »
SQL: SELECT DISTINCT sc.id FROM `modx`.`modx_site_content` sc LEFT JOIN `modx`.`modx_document_groups` dg on dg.document = sc.id WHERE (sc.id IN (9,3,18) AND sc.published=1 AND sc.deleted=0 ) AND (sc.privateweb=0) GROUP BY sc.id ORDER BY sc.menuindex ASC
I get the same error when I try to run this query as root directly from mysql, but as soon as I remove the ORDER BY clause it works (!).

Does anyone have an idea on what's going on? I haven't found anything in the sql-logs that helped either. A my-sql configuration issue perhaps?
Clive

Post by Clive »

I've not used MySQL or this application, but that SQL statement looks rather heavy, depending on the amount of data it is parsing then having DISTINCT together with a JOIN and an ORDER BY in the same SQL query may take a while to execute. Perhaps there is some timeout setting for queries on your MySQL database ? Bubba being slower than a normal server may be causing the application (or MySQL) to timeout before it's got a response ?

How long does the query take to execute without the ORDER BY clause ?? Do you receive the above error mesaage immediately or after a long wait ?
Eek

Post by Eek »

what is the version of your mysql server?

Code: Select all

dpkg --list|grep mysql
cheers
Eek
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

Clive wrote:How long does the query take to execute without the ORDER BY clause ?? Do you receive the above error mesaage immediately or after a long wait ?
The query is very quick, the response is something like 0.1s and the query parses only about 30 rows. The error is also immediate, not after a while as you would expect for timeout issues. Though, I'm not sure what the default time-out setting is. I'll check that tonight when I have shell access to the server.
Eek wrote: what is the version of your mysql server?
I'm running v5.0.32
osa

Post by osa »

There is a bug #458350 in 5.0.32

Please try arm backport

I had similar problem with Wordpress, and now it works fine!
Eek

Post by Eek »

Ah, you have upgrade to Etch.
I had the same problem with php-fusion (Query with LEFT JOIN )
so i reverted back to mysql-server 4.0.24-10sarge3

I could not reproduce the bug/issue on an intel machine. So it seems to be limited to ARM port.
Also tried the mysql-server 5.0.51a-3 (Lenny), but gave the same problem.
But Osa had succes with that version. So you could try that one. Let me know!

Maybe it is the binaries, i have not tried to compile/make mysql-server from source. It is on my to-do list :) ... someday

cheers
Eek
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

Aha, I was suspecting a bug but didn't want to shout it out too early ;)

I'll try the backports release and hope it works with that, thanks!
axomat

Post by axomat »

For the record, my own CMS runs PDO on MySQL. It is fine on Intel but php 5.2 mysql 5 running on ARM Etch is very buggy when you make it do anything mildly stressful. Seg faults causing Apache to crash are the symptom.

I hope it helps others thinking of trying the same things. On the other hand if anyone finds fixes then that please post!