New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Can't start Bubba

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
marcel23

Can't start Bubba

Post by marcel23 »

I've pressed the update button on the web-admin. I've got the message that processes were update. After the update, i can't reach bubba (through the web-admin). I can reach the data through the explorer. I've rebooted bubba, but now it doesn't start anymore, the led keeps blinking.
When i use the command line (putty) is see '-bash-2.05b$' in stead of the username i used to log in.

I'm getting a little frustated. Do I need to reinstall and lose all my data ?
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Somethihng seems to have gone wrong when upgrading.

Could you log in to bubba. Become root and then issue:

Code: Select all

apt-get upgrade
and then give us the output of this.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
marcel23

Post by marcel23 »

i wish i could, but i can't login to bubba (because of the reboot). Is there another way ? I need to get to the files in storage...
tor

Post by tor »

Ok,

Try using the rescue/minimal image, http://update.excito.net/install/minimal/ Boot it and log in to the rescue system as root.

When logged in start by doing a checkdisk to make sure the disk is ok.

fsck -text3 /dev/hda1
After that mount the disk.

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
Then chroot in to the system on disk.

chroot /mnt /bin/bash
Mount the proc filesystem.

mount /proc
Then try to do a manual upgrade

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
Note any errormessages and come back with them.

To exit the chroot environment do

umount /proc
exit
umount /mnt
Lets hope this can sched some light on what has happened.

/Tor
marcel23

Post by marcel23 »

Bubba wouldn't load that image; the led keeps blinking for hours... I've used the complet install method and lost all data.

I'm not satisfied with the bubba now.

I can't use it as a backup device for windows, because of the very slow data speed (i'm comparing this with a normal external disc device) and the bubba solution doesn't look stable. I can't just put all my music here (about 80 G) and not make a backup off it on another disc (also because of the slow data speed between bubba and my windows machine).

The last backup i made off my music map on bubba took about 12 hours (80G) using Cobina Backup on my XP machine.
tor

Post by tor »

marcel23,

The rescue image does not change the led, sorry this is something i should have mentioned, from blinking to a solid lit state. If the complete install worked the rescue image most likely worked as well.

I can only apologize for the inconvenience. :(

/Tor
marcel23

Post by marcel23 »

I've tried several times to install that image, but even after waiting 4 hours for it to install, i couldn't login at the named ip adress..