New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

A few questions before bubba hits the WWW. DNS settings etc

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
GaryL

A few questions before bubba hits the WWW. DNS settings etc

Post by GaryL »

Hi guys

Although I probably should be asking elsewhere, I thought I’d try here anyway as you guys may know.

I recently changed my broadband isp and they have kindly provided me with a static IP address.
Now I would like to tie my old domain name that I had with my old web hosting package to my bubba, but how do I go about this?

Is it just a matter of logging into my control panel (at 123-Reg) and selecting to change DNS settings.
And pointing the WWW and @ A Type records to point to my static IP address?
Also what do I need to do with the MX Records do I change this to my IP address as well?

On bubba's side do I need to do anything other than entering my domain that I want bubba to handle emails for?
Does bubba’s hostname need to equal my domain, at the minute the hostname is just bubba?

Gary
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Gary,

Just set up the A and MX records as yourdomain.com, pointing to your ip address. You can then set up aliases such as www, ftp, mail etc pointing to the A entry.

At least that's what I did.
I then only changed the domain name on my bubba. It is still called bubba on my internal network.

Cheers,

Holidayboy, posting from his Nintendo DS.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Woohoo it works, Thanks :D