New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Printer driver lexmark z600cups

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
tomdesinto

Printer driver lexmark z600cups

Post by tomdesinto »

Hi

while trying to install support for my Dell A920 printer, I followed instructions for debian (i386) here
but it failed at the alien step.

Does anyone succeeded installing such a driver on bubba ?
Does anyone knows if it's doable ?

Thx
Thomas
GettinSadda

Post by GettinSadda »

I strongly suspect that this printer is one of those that requires most of the "heavy lifting" to be done by the computer's CPU rather than being able to do the work itself. As such it is very unlikely that this will work on the ARM CPU in the Bubba.

Also, the scanner part is even less likely to work as the Bubba has a print server, but no scanning software.
tomdesinto

Post by tomdesinto »

probably, but even if it's slow, I would still enjoy using my printer. I don't bother for the scanner.
GettinSadda

Post by GettinSadda »

The problem is not so much the speed, but having a version of the driver code that will run on an ARM. If the driver were available in source you could recompile it for ARM (assuming that you also had all the appropriate graphics libraries etc.) but it is very unlikely that a company like Lexmark would allow the source for such a driver to be released as it would give an unfair advantage to their competitors. The printer itself is very simple, all that is "special" about it is in the driver!
tomdesinto

Post by tomdesinto »

damn cheap printers :(
tor

Post by tor »

Not sure if its the right printer, but this http://www.openprinting.org/show_printe ... rinter_920 seems a bit like the dell a920 one. Unfortunately it seems like it wont work well.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
tomdesinto

Post by tomdesinto »

Tor: that's a one, but the driver won't compile on arm