New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Very slow moving files around Bubba !

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
Clive

Very slow moving files around Bubba !

Post by Clive »

Over the weekend I did a bit of a tidy-up of my Bubba, basically deleting downloads I no longer wanted and moving those I did over to a seperate directory on Bubba, I find that Windows Media Center gets very slow when there are two many media files in the same directory (why must it rebuild it's thumbnails everytime it enters a directory, why does it need to have thumbnails at all !!!???)

Anyway, rather than do this via my Vista Laptop and SAMBA having to move all the files backwards and forwards, I log into Bubba and used the Unix move (mv) command which I assumed would be quick.

However, this was not the case, to 'mv' a 4GB file from one directory to another took around 10 minutes, I closed down all services on the Bubba but this didn't improve things.

Am I incorrect in thinking that the Unix move command should only need to update the INODE table and not physically need to copy or move the the files ?

I am sure I have used mv before on Bubba, primarily because it was ultra quick...
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

I'm no expert in this area, but I think this has to do with the source and destination being on different mount points (or what ever it is called).

Run

Code: Select all

df -h
and you will notice that /home/storage is the same as /var/samba/public (at least it is on my bubba), but mv will treat them differently.

In case you want to test this, create two dummy files:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/$USER/test.1 bs=100 count=1000000
cp /home/$USER/test.1 /home/$USER/test.2
Now you should have two files (test.1 and test.2) in your home folder, each file almost 100MEG. Move the files and notice the difference in execution speed:

mv /home/$USER/test.1 /home/storage
mv /home/$USER/test.2 /var/samba/public
The second command should execute a lot faster because it has the same mount point as the source, still the two files ended up in the same folder:

ls -l /home/storage
/Johan
Clive

Post by Clive »

Yes, you're right. Thanks !

Strange, as I am sure the last time I moved files, it didn't seem to take half so long.