New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba Two vs Bubba One - Transfer performance

Want new functionality in Bubba? Discuss it here.
jmv

Bubba Two vs Bubba One - Transfer performance

Post by jmv »

Hi,

Can we get some rough ideas about the speed increase (nfs, ftp, samba, ...) with the new version ?

Thanks
Pressurized

Post by Pressurized »

And what support the new device has for on the fly encryption
dan13l

Post by dan13l »

My Bubba|Two arrived this morning, and I've just given it a very quick unscientific test to see how it performs compared to the original.

If I copy a folder full of video from my Vista desktop to my original Bubba, I get a speed of 3.20 MB/sec according to Vista's copy window.

If I perform the same test, with everything connected through the same switch, but copy the files to Bubba|Two, I get a fairly steady 6 MB/sec.

There's also a note in the box regarding throughput not being as fast as they'd like right now, and I've spoken to Johannes about this too. With a little more time to optimise the drivers, and to enable a couple of additional features, Bubba|Two should be able to achieve faster throughput.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, thanks for sheding light to this Dan. Even though performance seems to be acceptable for many customers now we aren't satisfied yet. We have optimizations planned, among other things the possibility to enable jumbo-frames will enhance speed greatly.

Without making any promises, target is at least 20 MByte/s SMB read performance, hopefully even higher.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
jmv

Post by jmv »

Thanks for the information.
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it jumbo-frames can only be used if you have a complete gigabit network "all the way" meaning routers/switches/adapters right?

What aims do you have for us sitting on 100mbit interfaces?

/Tompa
sc0rp

Post by sc0rp »

johannes wrote:Yes, thanks for sheding light to this Dan. Even though performance seems to be acceptable for many customers now we aren't satisfied yet. We have optimizations planned, among other things the possibility to enable jumbo-frames will enhance speed greatly.

Without making any promises, target is at least 20 MByte/s SMB read performance, hopefully even higher.
Any updates regarding these speed ups (optimizations)?